cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i Camera pop up flash not opening

robertinca
Apprentice

I purchased a T5i a few months ago and it worked fine. Recently the popup flash is not opening up. When a try it manually, I get a message that says an error has occurred and I should power the camera off and on. I do so but get the same result. I hear a click but the flash does not "pop up". 

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Try removing the battery and reinstall.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I tried removing the battery and replacing it. No effect. Popup still does not pop up

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

When you press the button, this activates a small solenoid which releases a spring-loaded catch hook.  The flash itself is also on a spring and should pop up.

It's possible to have a bit ot sand/dirt wedging it or even anything sticky so that it doesn't pop up when it should.

You can use your fingers to gently assist the pop-up flash to raise up as you press the button to pop it open (incidentally do you even hear the solenoid clicking?)

If it does not make a clicking sound then ANOTHER possibility is that the camera thinks you have an external flash in the hot-shoe.  The hot-shoe rails have tiny leaf-springs in them to provide some tension as you slide in an external flash.  When you slide a flash in, those leaf springs press a tiny little miro-switch.  If that swtich is stuck down then the camera will believe you have a flash installed and it wont pop up (because the on-camera flash would hit the shoe-mounted flash.)

In either case, you can try a can of compressed air ot blow out any dust.  If there's anything sticky it could be cleaned off with something which self-evaporates and leaves no residue behind... such as denatured alcohol (do NOT use any type of "oil"... that wont evaporate and could work its way into the camera.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements