cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i - Brand new camera & many questions

scottjg24
Contributor

I have received my first dSLR - a Canon T5i (body only) and a Sigma 18-300mm lens.  I used a FujiFilm Finepix camera with fixed & manual lens for 3 years prior to that. 

I would like to know that in the viewfinder, is there any way that I can view my settings (aperture, shutter speed, exposure level, etc)?  Also, is there any way that I can see if I am shooting is level (no tripod or monopod)?

Using the Tv shutter speed, will I need a flash when I am at higher shutter speeds?  I have a Vivitar external flash unit that is built for Canon SLRs.  Just curious.

5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority

Hi Scott.

Congrats on the new camera.  

You can see several settings in the viewfinder.  Shutter speed, F/stop (aperture), ISO and exposure comp.  I think that in Manual you see the exposure meter.  I don't have my camera here.

Whether you need a flash in Tv is of course dependent on how much ambient light there is.  If you are out in the sun, not so much.  Though in ugly overhead midday sun is a great time to use flash, to fill in nose and brow and mouth shadows.  Be aware that your camera has a max flash sync speed.  I believe it is 1/200th of a second.  So you can use flash up to 1/200th of a second.  If you go to a faster shutter, you can't use flash unless your flash supports High Speed Sync (HSS).  Check your manual for how to do it on the camera, and check your flash to see if it can do HSS.  It is a low power flickering flash method, so you won't have as much power or range when in HSS, and it goes through the batteries and it heats up the flash pretty quickly.

There is no built-in level, unless I am mistaken.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@scottjg24 wrote:

I have received my first dSLR - a Canon T5i (body only) and a Sigma 18-300mm lens.  I used a FujiFilm Finepix camera with fixed & manual lens for 3 years prior to that. 

I would like to know that in the viewfinder, is there any way that I can view my settings (aperture, shutter speed, exposure level, etc)?  Also, is there any way that I can see if I am shooting is level (no tripod or monopod)?

Using the Tv shutter speed, will I need a flash when I am at higher shutter speeds?  I have a Vivitar external flash unit that is built for Canon SLRs.  Just curious.

Please read the manual. Seriously.

As for the Vivitar flash be very careful. Do some research, some old SLR flashes used much higher trigger voltages than current flashes do. Using on of those high voltage flashes can fry your camera.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am curious of the Sigma 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM ( C ).  I have not handled one yet.  It is one of the companies"new" line of contemporary lenses.  It is pretty slow for a 300mm but who knows.  Let me know how it performs.

You looked through the viewfinder and did not see any info?  Your flash is probably trash so don't even try it.  If it worked, it will be totally manual.  It sounds like you don't know how to set a manual flash anyway.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have a Sigma 18-300mm lens and it is awesome!!  If you get one, you'll too make a wise shoice.

theandies
Enthusiast

My T6i has the following when looking through the viewfinder, your's should be close:

Shutter speed

Apature

Exposure level

ISO

A focus indicator

among other indications depending on how you have the camera set. 

No level.

Announcements