cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5 or T5i?

Misc_Photo
Apprentice

Hello all, new member of the canon community and also new to photography. I started off using a Minolta Maxxum 5xi (35mm SLR and still planning on using it) and recently acquired a Canon Digital Rebel XTI from my Aunt.

I took up photography as a hobby and am new, still learning the ropes.

After doing much research, I decided to save up for the T5. The T5i looks attractive, but I cannot for the life of me justify the extra $100 or so for the T5i.

Which one should I get?

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, I would spring for the T5i.  Even the T6i if you can work it out.  When you get the top of the line in almost anything it stays pertinent longer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The T6i is way out of my budget (under $500)..I could save a little more and get the T5i, but for the life of me I cannot justify the $100 price difference between the T5 and the T5i. I keep looking at the two and to someone new to photography, the specs are so similar, granted the T5i is newer.

Also, I am not the one to buy the latest and greatest if I am honest. Just because a camera is 10 or 20 years old (like my 35mm SLR), it does not mean it will take bad pictures.

It looks like you already made up your mind.  I would go with your gut feelings. The T5 is certainly a capable camera and does a fine job.  The main thing is the sensor and both have the same sensor.

One word though, in anything electronic, which is where cameras belong, you are not the controlling force that obsoletes them.  That is largely out of our control.  If you read my sig you will notice I still use obsolete, discontinued cameras but they were the top of the line at one point.  They are still relevant today and will be for some time.

Good luck with your new T5. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It looks like you already made up your mind.  I would go with your gut feelings. The T5 is certainly a capable camera and does a fine job.  The main thing is the sensor and both have the same sensor.

One word though, in anything electronic, which is where cameras belong, you are not the controlling force that obsoletes them.  That is largely out of our control.  If you read my sig you will notice I still use obsolete, discontinued cameras but they were the top of the line at one point.  They are still relevant today and will be for some time.

All very true. But if you're trying to select a camera for the long haul, I'm inclined to think that picking from a higher line may be a better bet than picking the top of a lower line. I.e., a refurb 7D or 70D (both recently rendered obsolete and therefore susceptible to price softness) may be a better value in the long run than the T5i for someone in the OP's situation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

Totally agree.

EB

BitterOldMan
Contributor

@Misc_Photo wrote:

Hello all, new member of the canon community and also new to photography. I started off using a Minolta Maxxum 5xi (35mm SLR and still planning on using it) and recently acquired a Canon Digital Rebel XTI from my Aunt.

After doing much research, I decided to save up for the T5. The T5i looks attractive, but I cannot for the life of me justify the extra $100 or so for the T5i.

Which one should I get?

save your money you will see no difference between your Canon Rebel XTI EOS 400D and Rebel T5 Compared imho

if you have your heart set on Rebel T5 1200D might I recommend Canon Refurbished $249.99 to $309.98 as of today
several others Canon models under $500

The SL1 100D has slightly better low light specs according to DxOMark than the 1200D which has slighty better specs than the T5i 700D

With a kit you at least get lens or lenses for immediate use, albeit they are low end Canon lenses
Canon Refurbished cameras prices vary widely over just a month or two

Mamiya Super Press 23, Minolta SRT 100, 101, & 102, Canon AE-1,
Rebel T5 EF-S 18-55mm IS II & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Kit Refurbished $260
As Seen on TV, It's Not for Me

@BitterOldMan wrote:
save your money you will see no difference between your Canon Rebel XTI EOS 400D and Rebel T5 Compared imho

if you have your heart set on Rebel T5 1200D might I recommend Canon Refurbished $249.99 to $309.98 as of today
several others Canon models under $500

The SL1 100D has slightly better low light specs according to DxOMark than the 1200D which has slighty better specs than the T5i 700D

With a kit you at least get lens or lenses for immediate use, albeit they are low end Canon lenses
Canon Refurbished cameras prices vary widely over just a month or two

I'll have to look into refurbed when the time comes, still saving the cash 😉

@BitterOldMan wrote:

@Misc_Photo wrote:

Which one should I get?

save your money you will see no difference between your Canon Rebel XTI EOS 400D and Rebel T5 ...

I don't think I believe that comparison. My wife and I had XTi's, and she has a T2i. The T2i is noticeably superior in every respect; my only beef with it was that it didn't take CF cards. One has to assume that they made at least some progress between the T2i and the T5, which means it has to outclass the relatively ancient XTi.

I still have my XTi. It's the camera I take to the beach on windy days.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

"I don't think I believe that comparison."

Totally agree.   Again!

"... according to DxOMark ..."  And here-in lies the problem.

At least the refurb suggestion was good. Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements