cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i not taking pics in manual mode

BestWholeWorld
Apprentice
I have a problem with my camera taking pictures through the viewfinder in the manual, aperature or shutter speed modes. It will only take a viewfinder photo in any of the automatic settings.

If I turn on live view I can take a manual photo that way but when I turn it off to take a picture through the viewfinder the camera makes the click of taking a photo but after a few seconds it just freezes .

It sometimes will also take a picture if I hold the camera out in front of me and don't look through the viewfinder (with no live view). But taking the exact picture through the viewfinder results in the the click of the shutter but no picture. It is as if looking through the viewfinder prevents the photo from being captured. I have 3 lenses and this is happening with all of them. The only time looking through the viewfinder works is in the auto modes.

I imagine it could be a setting problem but still being an amuture I am not sure which feature I changed to cause this. Any help or advice?
2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Maybe you set mirror lockup.

Switch to "P" mode and clear all custom functions and reset camera settings.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

diverhank
Authority

The most common problem with not being able to take a photo in non-auto modes has to do with focusing.  When the camera can't focus it won't take a picture.

Live view uses a different method of focusing therefore you can focus there and camera takes a picture.  In auto mode, the camera ignores your custom functions so you can still focus with the shutter button and take picture. This tells me that somehow you have set the option to disable focusing when the shutter button is half pressed.  Try to press the * button to see if you can focus then take a picture.  Try clearing the custom functions or set C.Fn-6 to 0.

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements