cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i live view problems, buttons lock up (v 1.04 firmware)

ChristineJ
Apprentice

When using my Rebel T4i I usually switch between 'live view' and 'view finder' shooting numerous times. The problem happens usually less than 50 pictures into a shoot when I am switching from 'live view' mode to 'view finder' mode (or vice versa). The 'live view' button stops working completely and most of the buttons lock up. It's like the camera sometimes gets stuck in view finder mode, because I can continue to shoot pics by depressing the shutter button, although the auto focus settings sometimes are messed up or don't work at all. The playback button, menu button, info button and 'live view' button stop working at this point. I have no way to access the camera menu AT ALL. Any attempts to use 'live view' shooting do not work, even when powering off camera several times. When I am able to shoot in pseudo 'view finder' mode, the LCD still displays the basic mode details and sometimes the detailed settings, but no live view ever appears.

The only way to temporarily fix the problem is to remove the battery and sd card and let the camera sit for SEVERAL days. It seems that 48 hours is the MINIMUM that the camera must sit in order to start functioning properly again. I can't determine exactly what camera settings will reproduce this and it seems to happen with any of my 3 lenses. I purchased this camera as part of a kit, which included the EFS 18-55mm IMAGE STABILIZER lens and the EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III lens. I also own a Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 lens. I shoot RAW. This happens with the original Canon LP-E8 battery that came with the kit and it also happens with a brand new Canon battery I just bought. This has happened with both the Dane Electric Pro200 8meg class 10 card that came with the kit and with a brand new Sandisk ExtremePro16meg class 10 95mb/sec SD card. I usually always have the lenses set to AutoFocus and rarely use manual focus.

But it gets better....this all started when all of a sudden my camera just started rapid fire continuous shooting all on its own after I let up on the shutter button. I couldn't get it to stop. I had to turn it on and off several times to kill this. It was like something was jammed. This only happened once. But this is when the 'live view' issues also started, requiring me to leave the camera sit for days before I could reuse it. I had the camera 'repaired' as it was still covered under warranty. The repair notes stated: 'Control panel was jammed and it was reworked.' Not sure what 'reworked' means.

After the repair, the camera failed again the first time I used it. Switching to 'live view' eventually failed after around 30 pictures. I sent the camera back again for rerepair. When I picked the camera up they told me they could not reproduce the problem. When I tried to recreate the problem in the Canon lobby, I could not do it. I think it is because they reset it to factory specs...clearing whatever combination of my settings was causing this in the first place. What bothers me the most is that I took the time to type up a detailed one page explanation of everything that had happened. I gave them specific instructions to take at least 300 pictures and switch back and forth between manual/live view mode at least 30 times....etc etc etc. At NO POINT did I tell them to RESET the camera, wipe out all of my settings and THEN try to recreate the problem. That solves nothing.

Of course, when I got it home and set some of my camera options it failed again. Same issue: eventually failing when trying to switch into 'live view', buttons locked up, no way to access menu.

Any insight??

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have no idea but I am very curious about what "settings" you are using?  Including "... take at least 300 pictures and switch back and forth between manual/live view mode at least 30 times ..."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

Here's what I'd suspect...

While using Live View the camera is running continuously.... Holding the mirror up out of the way continuously draws power, as does holding the shutter open. And the sensor is operating continuously to provide Live View, as are all downstream image-related  components, all the way through to the LCD monitor. 

It could just be a bad Live View switch. But since you say the "lock up" occurs after shooting a bunch of images using Live View, I would suspect one of three things might be happening.  I would expect this to drain the battery rapidly, probably within a half an hour or less, and these cameras can act up when that happens (LP-E8 is pretty small battery, too... Maybe a battery grip with a 2nd battery would help?)...  Or, some component in the camera is overheating.... Or the camera is designed to shut down - perhaps just partially - after operating continuously or  heavily in Live View for a certain period of time or when it senses some components begin to overheat.

For example, I know the built-in flashes in most Canon will shut down if used continuously for shooting, once they start to become overheated. This is a protection to prevent burning out some of the flash's components. Just how many "pops" of the flash are possible before this happens will vary, depending upon a number of factors.

So, again it's just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with Live View. After all, it uses essentially the same camera functions as shooting video, and there is a time limit on the length of videos as well.

If this is what's happening it is not so much the number of images made while using Live View, nor should it matter much what lens or memory card is being used or what type of file is being saved. Even the number of images taken might not matter much (though there is a buffer that fills and the camera needs to pause to empty it, when a long series of images is made quickly). I suspect it would mostly be time and/or temperature related. Working outdoors on a warm day with the camera in full sun, I'd expect it to overheat or to shut down to prevent overheating sooner than if shooting  indoors in cool, air conditioned air.

Now, if this were a normal, protective shut down, done by design, I'd expect the camera to recover in minutes or hours, at most. As soon as it cools off, or after some prescribed period of time, it should be good to go again. However, you mention it can take two or more days until it's usable again. That makes me think some component is overheating and failing. It's probably something similar to what happens every once and awhile with my computer... the computer monitor occasionally goes black, when the graphics accelierator card shuts down, due to a cooling fan that gets dirty and sticks allowing the chipset to overheat... once I clean and lube that fan, all is fine and the computer is fully usable again.   

The continuous shooting when not pressing the shutter release button sounds like a separate problem to me... perhaps a stuck/sticky button. Finger oils and fine dirt can get into those buttons, causing malfunctions. I don't know about the T4i specifically, but with 20D through 50D models it's not uncommon for shutter release buttons to get sluggish and erratic after a lot of use. (Just how much use can vary depending upon the conditions where the camera is used.) If this is what's happening, there are DIY tricks online about how to clean the button yourself. Or, if the camera is still under warranty you probably should send it to Canon, who would probably replace the shutter release button. Or if the camera is out of warranty, a local camera repair tech might be able to clean the release button for you more properly (partially disassembling the camera to do so, which is better than the DIY method).

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Alan I have no idea what Christine's problem is and your diagnosis is as valid as any but I doubt it is the cause.

I doubt overheating or battery drain is the issue, if you re-read her first paragraph.

Plus Canon says it OK not that in itself is confirmation but certainly leads me to believe there is something else awry here.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hello guys, hello forum! Unfortunately I have the same issue with my unit. I don't use any third-party stuff, my settings aren't magical or complicated, my live view button must doesn't work. It would be dissapointing to leave it just like that, so forgive me to refresh the question: any insight?

I also am throughaly confused.

My T4i has a consistent err 70 but there is more happening.

Live view will not work. The screen is blank (yes the lens cap is removed).

I cannot take photos in any mode even with Live View not enabled and the memory card disabled.

Err 70

Err 70

How can I possibly generate a memory error when the card is removed and Live View is black?

Too add when I try to manually lock the shutter for cleaning reasons the shutter does not release.

The mirror will raise but the shutter remains shut.

Some would say ohh its your shutter!

And they could be accurate.

But this err 70 is only a memory error which tells me either Canons code is way out line with itself or I have a bad main board on this unit. It is out of warranty and we are missing some awesome spring photos of the kids!

I'm having a similar problem. Try switching OFF and ON quickly, but dont so quickly. Turn it off and before the screen turns off, return to ON again. It works for me, but at each picture I take, the camera lock up again. What I do to can, at least, take some pictures, is change the Custom Function 6 (Shutter/AE lock button) to option 1:AE lock/AF and then I can focus using the AE lock button (*).

No go

Wish I had a white paper for their error log system

Tim
Authority

Hello ChristineJ,

From what you are describing of this situation, it sounds as though the camera will need to be serviced.  We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you.  You can set up service on our web site, here, so that the camera can be sent to Canon.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements