cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i Red-Eye Flash Always On

RVS503
Apprentice

I have a brand new T4i and when you enable red-eye reduction and press the shutter half-way, you get between one and three flashes, in the viewfinder you see the little countdown timer, and then you snap the picture and the flash goes off - no problem.  

However, when you disable red-eye reduction, and press the shutter half-way, you still get a random number of flashes (between one and three), as if red-eye reduction was on but  the timer in the viewfinder does not activate.  It does this in every mode, except for the modes where flash is normally disabled.

Does this sound normal?  I don't think I should be getting those flashes at the halfway point.

2 REPLIES 2

RVS503
Apprentice

I found my answer: The T4i is equipped with something called "AF-Assist Beam".  Under low light conditions, it will fire a burst of flashes to illuminate the subject and enable easier autofocusing.  🙂

That's right. It uses those little light bursts to lock the AF onto the subject. Not limited to just your camera but a feature of most with a built in flash.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements