cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i or SL1 for Backup Camera to my 6D?

zgrimshaw
Apprentice

Hello,

I currently own a Canon 6D with a Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 16-35mm f/2.8 L, and a 24-105 f/4 L

I do profestional video work and also do a bit of photography as well. 

I am looking to get a backup camera for my work, and I'm looking at the T3i and the SL1.

I can't seem to find anything talking about the video quality difference between them, so any input would be great.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

Skirball
Authority

I doubt there will be much of a video quality difference between the two.  SL1 is much more recent, so it's possible it has additional features, but the T3i has been the go to entry level Canon dSLR for a long time.

Really it comes down to size.  If you're ok with the small size of the Sl1 then go for it.  But it's pretty tiny compared to a FF camera.

Thanks for the advice!

I'll probably go into best buy and see how the SL1 feels in my hands compared to the T3i.

Anyone else?

That's exactly what I'd do.  I don't do video, so I don't feel knowledgeable enough to say that they're the same, but I suspect the video quality is similar if not the same.  The main difference is probably that the SL1 offers autofocus during video, while the T3i does not.  This might sound like a huge difference, but dSLR video autofocus isn't very good and more advanced videographers don't use autofocus anyway.  However, for "home movies" the average user would probably prefer the option.

@zgrimshaw wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

I'll probably go into best buy and see how the SL1 feels in my hands compared to the T3i.

Anyone else?

If I owned only a FF camera, I think I'd try not to have an APS-C as my backup. If your lens collection is optimized for FF, you'll probably find them not as satisfactory for the smaller frame size. Your 24-105, for example, is a superb walking-around lens on a 6D, but on a crop camera it's too long to be a walker and too short to be a telephoto. I bought mine in the expectation of eventually going FF, but never used it much on my 7D's. Now that I have a 5D3, the lens has come into its own.

Why don't you look at used 6D's? Then you'd have a seamless transition when your main camera is in the shop.

Bob

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

GATphoto
Apprentice
There's a couple advantages to both. The biggest advantage to the t3i is the screen. Being able to rotate the screen can give you more options for shots and is a plus for video too. Another is size. Sometimes bigger is better. Your hands may Thank you. I have fairly small hands and they felt so much better holding a bigger camera.
Sl1- again, size if you like smaller, but definitely kit a store display to feel it in your hands. it may be uncomfortable. The biggest advantage fir the sl1 for video is the stm lens that will come with it. Those things are super quiet.
Best solution-t5i. You get the best of both worlds.
6d • T3i • 15mm f2.8 fisheye • 35mm f2 is • 24-70mm f2.8 L mk i • 70-200mm f2.8 IS L mk ii • 600ex-rt

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Your 24-105, for example, is a superb walking-around lens on a 6D, but on a crop camera it's too long to be a walker and too short to be a telephoto."

On the other hand, this makes perfect sense.  Use the crop sensor to your advantage.  Just because you lose on the short end, you gain on the long end.  Someting just a little too far away, grab the Rebel T3i.  Need a wider shot, well you get the 'picture'. (Pun intended! Smiley Happy)

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

From the sound of things, the OP could benefit from a camera with stronger video capabilities than the 6D. I'd suggest she/he look at the 70D which brings the extraordinary dual pixel technology to shooting in video and live view modes.

Yes, in two or three years that technology will filter down to the lower models but as the price difference is ~$500, not $3,500, don't you think the extraordinary 70D autofocus capabilities will pay off in your work?

Just my $.02.

@cale_kat wrote:

From the sound of things, the OP could benefit from a camera with stronger video capabilities than the 6D. I'd suggest she/he look at the 70D which brings the extraordinary dual pixel technology to shooting in video and live view modes.

Yes, in two or three years that technology will filter down to the lower models but as the price difference is ~$500, not $3,500, don't you think the extraordinary 70D autofocus capabilities will pay off in your work?

Just my $.02.

I don't know what sound you're hearing from things, but here's what I think I heard: The OP is a professional videographer, and his current camera is a 6D. So either he has access to one or more professional video cameras (likely) or the 6D is meeting his video needs. So my advice still stands: look for a good used 6D for your backup. Yes, you can use FF lenses on a crop camera, but they tend not to match up very well. (For example, no FF lens that I know of fills the traditional 18-50 mm slot that a crop camera user typically wants to fill. And who makes a FF 50-150 telephoto?) If I had only a FF camera, I'd have to think long and hard before buying any crop camera.

Bob

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The soundness of your advice notwithstanding, what a bore! Spend a pile of Franklin's and get nothing new to play with.

Announcements