cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i locking up larger SD Cards

jcklassen
Apprentice

Hi everyone. So I've had a T3i for a few years now. It's been great. For the last year I've been using a Samsung 128GB SD Card, which has also been great. Last week I turned my camera on like normal, and went to take pictures like I have been for years. The second picture I took, the camera froze up. I couldn't do anything. I had to remove the battery just to get it to shut off. Then it wouldn't turn on anymore. I tried and tried and tried and It wouldn't turn on. I took the SD Card out and removed the battery. When I put the battery back in it turned on. So I put the SD card back in and NOTHING! Then I put the SD card into my computer. SD Card is unreadable. So I tried to format it. It won't format. I can't do anything with it. I've since had certified tech people try their hands at the SD Card. It is locked up good. I tried a different SD Card, a 16GB. After playing around for about 5 minutes I got it to work. Then I tried a 32GB card. Nothing! I tried everything but it won't turn on with that card. So then I put that card in my computer. Same thing, it is locked up! This camera is destroying my SD Cards. I've tried a 2GB and a 4GB and an old 512MB card. Those all work. It seems like anything bigger than a 16GB won't work and gets destroyed! Please, if anyone can help me I would be so appreciative!

9 REPLIES 9

Peter
Authority
Authority
Not a solution of your problem, but have you tried SD Formatter with low level format?

No I have not. But at this point I'm willing to try anything. I'll try it tonight and let you know if it worked. Thanks

With SD Formatter, use Full (Overwrite) and Format size adjustment ON.

jonasbxl
Apprentice

Did you ever manage to solve this issue?

I had my T3i's DC/DC PCB Assembly [Mod note: Removed link per forum guidelines.] replaced because the service centre technician believed it was preventing the camera from turning on, while it was probably the camera just freezing up. (I also observed that the camera needs to be turned off with the battery out for a while before it can be switched on again... and before it destroys another card.)

I know it's a long shot after nearly four years since the original post...

This thread is 4 years old. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I realise that, I also mention in my post that I know it's a long shot that OP would reply... But it's also the only forum post I found when searching on Google and it made sense to continue it as it was never resolved and it's the same issue. It makes it more likely for someone else with the same issue to find it in future.

Anyway, I will probably try replacing the SD card reader component - I was just hoping that maybe soemeone with more knowledge of how these cameras operate could point me in the right direction.

@jonasbxl wrote:

Did you ever manage to solve this issue?

I had my T3i's DC/DC PCB Assembly [Mod note: Removed link per forum guidelines.] replaced because the service centre technician believed it was preventing the camera from turning on, while it was probably the camera just freezing up. (I also observed that the camera needs to be turned off with the battery out for a while before it can be switched on again... and before it destroys another card.)

I know it's a long shot after nearly four years since the original post...

What you describe could be a symptom of the camera overheating (although that's not something we commonly see reported in a T3i), Maybe that's why the technician replaced the PC board.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

That's very interesting, thanks! It definitely explains why the technician would replace that part first - it also looked like the issue was fixed (until the next card was destroyed by the camera).

I thought the freezing up was maybe caused by the software (possibly due to an error caused by the corrupted card) - and that taking out the battery for a few minutes just caused the memory to clear. I think I will try replacing that SD card reader as it seems to me like the component that's closest to the SD card (it's also a much cheaper part than the main board which would be my next choice). If the reader is faulty maybe it overheats as well.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Despite what the specs say, it seems some Canon entry level models from 5-10 years ago do not work well with SDXC, 64 GB and higher, memory cards.

My T5 did not like them. My son’s T3i did not like them. A friend with T3 had issues, too. As long as we stuck to SDHC cards, all was milk and honey.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements