cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i and ef 50mm

disneymom2two
Apprentice

It was recommended to me that I get a fixed 50mm for my rebel.  At some point, I plan on upgrading to the 7i but for now, I just got a new lens.   I can't figure out if I need an adapter or if I'm doing something wrong.  The lens doesn't go on smoothly like my kit lenses do and I'm afraid to push it in case I break something.  The aperature is stuck on F00 and I can't change it which I read means its not communicating but I can't figure out how to fix this.  Any thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It should just work. Exactly which 50mm is it? either post an image or tell us *exactly* what is written on the front inside the barrel.

80085A0A-C6CD-4815-8C27-024312F76CB6.jpeg

Yep, it should just work. You said you just got it, then I would return it before you wind up with a T3i paperweight.

Make sure to ignore the white dot and line up the red dots when you attach it.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...The aperature is stuck on F00 and I can't change it"

This is the same message you would get if no lens was mounted. The lens and camera is not communicating. It means a few things.
1> lens not on tight or fully mounted.
2> contacts damaged in either lens or camera.

3> dirty contacts between the camera and lens, unlikely but possible.

The mouints on your current lens and the new 50mil are identical, well mostly, as your 50mil can be used on any Canon camera and your kit lens can not. It should feel the same when you mount it or nearly so since it is brand new.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It was recommended to me that I get a fixed 50mm for my rebel."

What was the reasoning for the recommendation?  I ask because I find the 50mil is a more challenging limited use lens.  Especially on a Rebel.  It does have two outstanding uses, portraits and poor light performance. However, general use is well behind a good zoom lens.

I would rather see you get the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  You are more interested in photography, since you said you are going to upgrade to the T7i, than the average joe. That lens will do most everything you want and has the fast constant f2.8 aperture for low light situations. It is more expensive than the 50mil but well worth the advantages it offers. When you buy your T7i, buy it with out a lens and consider the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. It doesn't come as a kit lens since it is an upgrade in itself.

The best thing about the 50mil is it is cheap so if you keep it, no harm, no foul. But if you get the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens, I doubt you use the 50mm much or at all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements