cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i Rebel stuck in menu mode

Faye414
Apprentice

Hi There, 

My Canon T3i Rebel seems to be stuck in menu mode, and will not allow you to switch to display, review or take a photo.  I've tried detaching the lense, I've tried taking the memory card out, I've tried switching modes and manual settings — which it still allows you to do freely. 

Lens is attached correctly. Does not matter which lens is attached, it will not allow me to switch out of menu mode to snap a photo. 

This all started because I was noticing the camera was not auto focusing correctly when used for a quick snap & shoot gig in sports mode. 

Any advice? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

William_N
Enthusiast

Hi Faye414,

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

Typically, the menu button on the camera will Enter/Exit the menu when pressed. Since you are able to access the menu performing a reset on the camera may help. Please follow the instructions below.

1. While the camera is on turn the mode dial to "P" (Program mode), which allows all menu options to become available, then press the menu button.

2. Move across the top of the menu to the last wrench tab. (Yellow tabs)

3. Go down the menu list to "Clear Settings" and press the Set button.

4. Choose "Clear all Camera Settings", and press the Set button.

5. To complete the reset highlight "OK" and press the Set button again.

6. Next, move over to the Custom Functions menu list.

7. Reset the "Clear all Custom Func." settings as well.

After the resets, power the camera off and back on to see how it performs. If the camera is still unable to exit the menu after the resets please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

William_N
Enthusiast

Hi Faye414,

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

Typically, the menu button on the camera will Enter/Exit the menu when pressed. Since you are able to access the menu performing a reset on the camera may help. Please follow the instructions below.

1. While the camera is on turn the mode dial to "P" (Program mode), which allows all menu options to become available, then press the menu button.

2. Move across the top of the menu to the last wrench tab. (Yellow tabs)

3. Go down the menu list to "Clear Settings" and press the Set button.

4. Choose "Clear all Camera Settings", and press the Set button.

5. To complete the reset highlight "OK" and press the Set button again.

6. Next, move over to the Custom Functions menu list.

7. Reset the "Clear all Custom Func." settings as well.

After the resets, power the camera off and back on to see how it performs. If the camera is still unable to exit the menu after the resets please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

William – 

Thank you so much. This allowed me to get my camera out of menu mode only. 

I'm not sure what happened, but I use it for professional/career work. I called Canon Support and this is the exact process they walked me through. I will be saving your reply as a written version in case its a problem again. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"This all started because I was noticing the camera was not auto focusing correctly ..."

Are you using Canon brand lenses?  If not buy a real Canon lens and try again.  Buy a new SD card. Otherwise you might try it with the lens removed and the SD card removed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi there, 

I only use Canon brand lenses. I've tried with the standard kit on, 35mm, 50 mm, my telephoto 75mm - 300 mm. 

Doesn't matter, I've turned off autofocus as it just seems to guarantee blurry photos.  

Glad you got it working again.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Do you get blurry photos in Live view or viewfinder mode? What focus mode and focus points are you using? Can you share an example?

Announcements