cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i LiveView white outline box overlay removal

DevDorian
Apprentice

I am using my T3i to broadcast on Twitch dot TV. I have everything set up, great framerate and quality already but I can't find where the setting is to remove to white outline box in the middle of the view.

I am using OBS to capture the view from the LiveView window in the EOS Camera software to do this which contrary to what others have told me actually works extremely well. In doing so though I still have the white outline box (not sure what this is actualy called) which needs to be removed. Anyone know how do remove it? Thank you for reading 🙂

26 REPLIES 26

You did switch the lens to manual focus, right?

I had the same issue. I had to turn on AF on my lens and the box went away. This thread just saved my life !!!!! LMBO I hope this helps. I hardly ever use auto focus so I almost missed this detail ....

Turn *on* or turn *off* autofocus?

I turned it on but I just discovered that when I put my face in frame another white box appears. When my face is not in frame the white box is gone but as soon as I put my face in frame another box appears. I don't get it !!!! I am trying to figure out how to get rid of this one too

On you lens, turn off AF and set it to manual. Now switch it to face detection live mode or 🙂 Live Mode in the first film tab.

stumoney
Apprentice

Partial (good-enough for me) work-around: While I couldn't find a way to remove the white box or the face-detection boxes, you can use the arrow buttons to move the white box around the display on the T3i.  I moved it to the bottom right corner, which will be fine for acting as a general webcam.  The SET button will reset it to the center of the display, but otherwise it'll stay put.  You can even power down and power up the camera and the box will stay where you left it.

Another possible choice is that you can switch to movie mode, and start a recording.  Now the boxes dissapear (yay), but a red recording-dot appears in the top corner.  The recording is probably not what you're afterm but you can still stream the display to your computer via HDMI while recording.  I haven't tried doing this approach for more than a minute, but I assume it would be inturrupted by running out of space on the memory card.  So, you could lower the resolution to the lowest setting if you go this way to have it last as long as possible between deleting the recording.  

Cdshow
Apprentice
I figured it out.
1. Be in Movie mode
2. In menu af mode enable 🙂 love mode
3. Turn ON auto focus on the lens itself. If you have af off you cannot make the box go away.
Tada!
You can still manually focus the lens just do so gently as you are forcing gears that should typically be allowed to work without assistance and you could damage your lens at least I would be afraid you could so do this at your own risk. If you press the shutter to auto focus a small Box (smaller than before) will still display “detecting faces” if you have that option enabled. Best choice though for me is gentle manual focus.
Good luck!

Cdshow
Apprentice
Step 2 was supposed to read as 🙂 live mode not love mode.....

Hmm - I tried those steps just now, but that seems to put it into 'put a targetting rectacle on faces' mode. As soon as my face is in front of it, the tagetting boxes track my face.  Are you using it with a person (e.g. as a webcam)?  

I put my metering timer setting to the highest time, 30 min, in my case. AF Mode on "Live Mode". Camera is on Movie Mode and I have to set it to record. The lens is on MF setting.

I think that resolved the moving target track box. Unsure if the 30 min timer runs out, it activates the target box again. Will follow up after a long Zoom call and see if it works.

Announcements