cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i Full Hd recording limits

DominicCrozet
Contributor

Hi Canon,

Just recently bought the T3i and am mainly interested in using it for videography. However, the recording length shuts down after 12 mins and then restarts again. I have heard this could be to do with the SD card. The SD card that I use is SanDisk class 10, 64gb Ultra, 30Mb/s. I have been told that this time could improve if I had a more expensive SD card; i.e. an Extreme Pro. But then again I read that 12 mintues auto shutdown is normal so therefore, an Extreme Pro won't make the difference. The 12 mins stresses me because I film weddings. (However, I do have a full hd camcorder as well which eliviates the pressure some what.) but would feel more comfortable with say 20 mins auto shutdown at full hd. Perhaps I need a different camera but I don't want to spend £200 more than I paid for the T3i. The other alternative is a software called Magic Lantern (ML). But what I have heard is that ML could improve this limit but would decrease the quality of the video. Not good. Does anyone know how much it would increase the video? To summarise, which DSLR is out there with 20 mins + and how much? Is ML a good option? Do SD cards have any bearing on the length?

Thanks in advance

Dominic      

17 REPLIES 17

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Most of what you "heard" is not fully true.  There is a 4 GB file size limit.  Once the camera reaches this size, the camera will shut off.  If the 4 GB limit is not reached there is still a cut-off point of 29:59 minutes.

The confusion is simple the T3i is a still camera that shoots video.  It is not a video camera that shoots stills.

If you require a true video camera, you need to get a true video camera.  But this class of camera is very expensive.  So most folks just learn to live with and use the Rebel series.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

hsbn
Whiz

The file limit of a FAT32  is 4GB, and that is approx. 12min of full HD recording on T3i. So buying a better SD card would not help your case at all.  Newer camera offer an option of auto creating the new file if 4Gb limit has been reached, for example, 5DMIII can do this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Yes. with it's newer cameras, (T4i, T5i, 6D, 70D,5D3,etc) Canon gets around this by allowing you to continue past 4GB but the video is automatically split into separate files. This means you will need to edit the movie back together in post processing. 

Magic Lantern does not degrade your video quality. It can actually improve your quality thanks to all the options it adds, but it does not allow you to exceed the 4GB limit.  

Magic Lantern has an "Movie Restart" option to go past 30 mins. The camera will stop after 29.59minutes, but will restart in less than a second, so you don't lose very much and you don't need to touch the camera for that, as it will work automatically.

Mike Sowsun

Thank you very much for your response.

The Magic Lantern seems a good option.

I am considering returning my t3i for possibly a t4i only on the basis that perhaps the T4i will give me more than 12 mins auto shutdown. Splitting the files into sections does not bother me as I can easily put segments toghether if necessary in post production.

Could you please tell me how long the t4i can record until it automatically shuts down?

Thanks in advance

Dominic

The max video time on the T4i is 29 minutes 59 seconds.

_T4i_video.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Thank you 

It appears from the table you so kindly provided that 16gb can record for 44 mins (wonder how much it is for 32gb?). However, its says under heading 'Movie Shooting Time limit' is 29 min 59 sec. Which one is it 44 or 30 mins? Anyway, it does not really matter to me as either way this is a massive improvment on 12 mins my t3i provides. This suggests that perhaps I will return my t3i and get myself the t4i.

Thanks again.

Dominic

44 mins is TOTAL recording time for 16GB. 32GB would be 88 mins. Each file would still max out at 4GB or approx 12 mins.

Mike Sowsun

"This suggests that perhaps I will return my t3i and get myself the t4i."

This is not a camera limit.  It is a FAT32 limit.  Buying a T4i will not remove this limit.  There is still going to be two, or more, files.  They will not play back automatically.  You will still have to select which one to play back.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi canon people,

From what you guys are saying, pls correct me if I am wrong, the 44 mins refers to the amount of footage at 16gb it can sore. However, the t3i along with the t4i will both have a 12 minutue auto shutdown.

I gather it has something to do with them both having FAT32 BUT I don't really know what FAT32 is. I then assume a canon Mark 111 will have a higher FAT?

Thanks in advance

Dominic   

Announcements