cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i Display Problem

surfshoptom
Apprentice

I've had my T3i about 23 months and have loved it. But about 6 months ago the display developed a defect. There's a dark C-shaped smudge on the right side. I sent the camera to Canon for a repair estimate. They came back with $200. After I called, they gave me a 20% discount. I rejected the offer so they sent it back. So I have this defect and as well, there's a lot of dust now when I look through the viewfinder. Neither affects the pictures, but it's disappointing. I thought Canon might offer to fix the problem even though it's 6 months past the warranty just as good customer service. Don't they understand that a good faith gesture like that goes a long way? I've always been a Canon guy, but next time will look seriously at Nikon.  Anyone else have this problem? Is it possible to buy and install a new display? 

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

When you say "display", are you referring to the articulated LCD screen... or are you referring to the focusing screen that is visible only when looking through the viewfinder?

Both are serviceable / replaceable.  

As for Canon's reputation for service... I've seen companies that will replace a product which is just a few days out of service, but 6 months out of service is a long time. 

While you are asking these questions on a Canon forum full of other Canon camera owners such as yourself, you might expect to find a bias toward Canon cameras.  But I also visit forums that are partial to Nikon and I see the sorts of experiences users have on both sides.  I tell people the Canon vs. Nikon debate is a bit like the Ford vs. Chevy debate or the Coke vs. Pepsi debate -- you'll find people taking both sides and you'll find professional photographers using both systems.

But that comment aside... one thing Canon has over Nikon... is service.  Nikon has managed to get quite a few black-eyes for deplorable service over the years.  

If the defect is actually the LCD display, then $160 for a replacement is probably a pretty fair deal (considering that's not just the price of the display, but includes the cost of the labor to install it.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Yes - it's the LCD screen on the back of the camera.  It's disappointing when you spend several hundred dollars for a product, it manifests a defect after only 18 months and the company asks for half the original cost to repair it. The defect isn't my fault. Step up and fix it. That would be good customer service. The defect speaks to original quality. Not offering to fix it speaks to the company's commitment to customer service. Even a couple people I talked to at Canon thought it should be taken care of.   That's how I feel about it.  At this point, I'm just wondering if I can purchase a replacement display and install it myself.

Announcements