cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i Best Vlog/Video Settings - Stopped Recording Automatically Error (under 5 minutes)

wrice4
Contributor

Hey guys, I just upgrade my Canon SX50 HS to a a Canon T3i camera with the kit lens, 18-55mm. I formatted the sd card, in the camera, and installed magic lantern + nightly build. My video settings currently are 1920X1080 @ 30fps. I am using a Scandisk Class 10 SDHC 32gb 30mb/s write speed; however, I just tried recording my first video and it shut off at 3 minutes and 30 seconds, saying the stopped recording automatically.

What are the best settings to record a vlog/video to have the best possible quality and to make it where my video(s) don't stop recording under 5 minutes of use? This is my first dslr so I am still learning and trying to figure this situation out on my own, but need some help with this.

P.S. I started a review channel, for youtube, and sit about 2 ft away from the camera. If I left anything out please let me know so I can tell you more.

Edit:

I have read up on this issue I am having. Seems like the 600D is limited to write speeds of 21mb/s so any SD Card write speed over that is fine, as it can not go any higher. Also, Shooting RAW video, with the t3i, can be the problem, as I should probably stick to just the L setting, but im not so sure. Still more researching to do.

Edit: The RAW video resolution was my problem, I think, but I have not tested it out. I have to bring down the resolution to 960x640 at 24fps, in order for the t3i to record in RAW.
10 REPLIES 10

With ML and raw video, your sensor will get hot. There is a thermometer showing the temperature. I never got any problem with that, but of course things can breake because of heat, for example solders.

What more likely can happen is that you get wrong properties in NVRAM of the camera. NVRAM works without power. That means you can´t reset it just removing the battery. There are some solutions, but there is always a risk. T3i maybe is cheap enough to play around with?

About raw settings. With your camera your write speed is 21 MB/s. That will give you 960 x 540 px in 24p or 864 x 484 px in 30p. In my opinion not worth it. 5DIII is perfect for raw video. I have 6D and 7D and use ML for recording Dual ISO to increase the dynamic range, for example my moon image here. If my cameras break they break. This is a risk I take.

For normal video recording with your T3i, low level format your card. If you want less noise in your video, use ISO 160, 320, 640, 1250. Less dynamic range but also less noise because ISO 160 is overexposed ISO 200 pulled down in the camera.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements