cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3I - Video - Memory Cards - Limits 4GB/29:59 Limit?

Deathadder
Apprentice

I am going to start using a T3i that I recently acquired to shoot videos for short films

I see that there is a limit of 4GB or 29:59 minutes before the camera stops running the video

Does that mean for each clip you use or total?

Like for example if I have a 32GB card in the camera does that mean I can get multiple clips that are under 4GB or 29 minutes, or I can only get a total of 4gb of video even though it's just a 32GB card?

Like a 32GB card should allow for say 8 clips that were 4gb? Or another example 16 clips that were 2GB, right? Or is it once I used 4GB no matter how short the clips, that's it for the card?

I'm assuming it must be just a situation of keeping really short clips that are around 10 seconds to 5 minutes, having multiple clips until I used up the 32GB card...or is it really crazy and as soon as all clips equal 4GB  or 29 minutes that the camera will no longer shoot video for that card?

MANY THANKS!!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@kvbarkley wrote:

It is talking about individual video files. In fact when you reach 4GB it will just automagically start a new file. The 30 minute limit seems to be a reliability thing - they don't wan't the camera operating for more than 30 minutes at a time.

To sum up, if you have a big enough card, you can have any number of 4 GB files or 30 minute videos.

If the unit could record more than 30 minutes, then it would be considered a camcorder, and different import tariffs would apply to it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

@kvbarkley wrote:

Ah, I did not know that. Does magic lantern get rid of that limit? 8^)

I've heard that installing Magic Lantern violates the terms of your warranty.  I would avoid it.  A bad install can and will crash the entire camera.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is talking about individual video files. In fact when you reach 4GB it will just automagically start a new file. The 30 minute limit seems to be a reliability thing - they don't wan't the camera operating for more than 30 minutes at a time.

To sum up, if you have a big enough card, you can have any number of 4 GB files or 30 minute videos.

@kvbarkley wrote:

If the unit could record more than 30 minutes, then it would be considered a camcorder, and different import tariffs would apply to it.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I've heard that installing Magic Lantern violates the terms of your warranty.  I would avoid it.  A bad install can and will crash the entire camera.

Many Many Thanks Waddizzle

Hence the smiley. I don't do enough video to need it.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 4GB/29:59 limit is the maximum file size for one video clip.  If you need to film video for that length of time, non-stop, you may be better off with a video recorder.  The DSLR image sensor can build up heat, shutting the unit down until it can cool off.  There should be a warning about heat buildup in your instruction manual.

Yes, you record multiple video files on a single memory card, just as you can record multiple still images.  Do not assume that a 32GB card can record eight 4GB files.  The camera consumes space on the camera to store operating data, file folder structures, file allocation maps, etc.  Think about how a computer OS consumes space on a hard drive.

Announcements