cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3 takes photos, then later, they say "No Image"

tayzerker
Contributor

I just took a bunch of family photos on my T3, and I could go back and view them all and everything right after taking them.  An hour later, I look at them and the latter half of the photos can't be previewed, but rather than a thumbnail, have a "No Image" icon.  The SD card also seems to not want to load on my computer either... Grrrr. 

The card is a 16GB Class 6 SDHC card made by "IRIS."  Photos are JPEG.  I've tried all kinds of recovery software.  Files won't open in Preview, Chrome, Gimp, Finder. GIMP at least gave me the error, "unsupported marker type 0x44"  (the 0x44 tags change depending on the file).

Any ideas what might be the culprit and whether or not I can save the photo session of my kids?  Thank you all so much for you help!  My wife and soon-to-mail christmas cards are also begging for your collective wisdom!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, I know this is a little old but I found this software that was able to repair most of the images. I will link to my dropbox where you can download and look at the images. The downside is tht the software's trail version adds a watermark to the repaired images and the only way to get rid of it is to purchase the full version which I can not justify at this time.

I am including the link if you wish to purchase it your self. Out of 6 different programs that claim to be able to repair jpeg files this is the only one that worked for me. And it was on a windows computer so not sure if they have a version for Apple if that is what you are using. The software is easy to use, just let it scan the folder comntaining the bad pictures then select the ones you want to repair or select all and click on the repair button.

Software: http://www.hketech.com/JPEG-recovery/index.php

Sample of repaired images: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yktdbb96sxvsp4z/AABz33pQOGHx-SBPEVFtUgrJa?dl=0

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

@BurnUnit wrote:

Just as an experiment, I'd make copies of a few of the files that don't want to open. Make up a new name for the files like TEST01, TEST02, etc. Then try using a couple different file extenesions at the end of the file name, like .jpg, .jpeg, .JPG, .JPEG. And maybe try opening them on a Windows machine if you have access.

Nothing to lose...

@Thanks @BurnUnit - gave it a shot, but no luck... Not even on a friend's windows install of photoshop, paint, and irfanview.Smiley Sad

If anybody out there is really smart or has an idea, I've uploaded the bad photos to a public folder on my google drive, along with 2 good samples for reference:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1arGT94iZuH-SAg72rOaXC6R17qJ_cRaO

Thank you guys so much for your help and responding to this post!

I'm out of the loop on Macs, but in Windows under the Properties tab for the viewable image I'm seeing the following EXIF data...

8223_01.jpg

In the un-viewable file this EXIF data is blank...

8251_01.jpg

I wish I knew just what the hell that means, but....? I wonder if the files would open with some or all of the EXIF data intact? Could the info be added to the file properties with EXIF editing software?

The answer to the second question is "yes". Exiftool will let you write EXIF info to a file.

What we need is a JPEG recoverer, a program that will read in a corrupt JPEG and create a file that has as much of the information that is recoverable as possible. Hmm, maybe I should write one...

@kvbarkley wrote:

The answer to the second question is "yes". Exiftool will let you write EXIF info to a file.

What we need is a JPEG recoverer, a program that will read in a corrupt JPEG and create a file that has as much of the information that is recoverable as possible. Hmm, maybe I should write one...

keanu whoa.gif

@kvbarkley - is such a thing possible! That would be amazing!  I'm sure if you figured that out, I'm sure this thred would get a lot of attention.  And as your noble deeds reverberated throughout the interwebs, you would be remembered fondly as one of the great mysterious noble genius sages like the creater of Irfanview or VLC.  If you know how to do this or can point me to another software that can (I've tried about 10 or so thus far) - that would be amazing!  Thank you!!

@BurnUnit wrote:

In the un-viewable file this EXIF data is blank...

I wish I knew just what the hell that means, but....? I wonder if the files would open with some or all of the EXIF data intact? Could the info be added to the file properties with EXIF editing software?

@BurnUnit, you are a boss  -  super helpful!  First thing that smells like a clue to success!!  Thank you!!  

I wonder if the propoerties just mean the file is unreadable as a whole, and thus no properties... in which case might be back to square 1, but I think we're on to something!

@tayzerker wrote:
@BurnUnit, you are a boss  -  super helpful!  First thing that smells like a clue to success!!  Thank you!!

I appreciate the kind words, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here. I'm beginning to wonder if the image file must be opened before the EXIF data can be edited. There may be a "Catch 22" in the process. Robot Frustrated

@BurnUnit wrote:
I appreciate the kind words, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here. I'm beginning to wonder if the image file must be opened before the EXIF data can be edited. There may be a "Catch 22" in the process. Robot Frustrated

Doh!  Hmmm I'll look into how to edit EXIF data.  Maybe I could do it manually.  I already tried opening in text edit and just copying over everything that looked like header data from a bad file to a good one, but I'm guessing that there might be some file-specific info in there, like image/file size and some keys for the compression algorithm or something that don't quite transer over...

P.S. EXIF data will do nothing for being able to view the image. EXIF data is only for information for humans/software and has nothing to do with the image itself. Most websites actually remove the EXIF data (Facebook being a prime example) for privacy sake without effecting the view-ability of the image.

tayzerker Check your private messaging, I sent you a link to the repaired files.

hello wolfie0827 i need your help recovering images please help me
Announcements