cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T2i won't take a photo with the LCD on

Rhosalina
Contributor

My barely used T2I wont take a photo with the LCD on. I have tried it in every mode and reset settings but for some reason when I click the button to switch it to LCD view and try to take a photo it wont release the shutter. You can ONLY shoot through the viewfinder. Is this normal? I havent used this camera in a few years but dont remember this from before. Its so frustrating..

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you in movie mode?

Go into the menu and clear all camera settings. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I just thought maybe I need to update the firmware?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

In low light and depending on the lens, AF may not lock. So, you won't be able to take a picture. Try doing Live View in something well lit, perhaps outdoors. If that works then low light is your likely problem in which case I would bump up the ISO.

Also, how close is it to the camera?  Too close will not let it shoot either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your reply. I am shooting outdoors super bright sun. Apparently you cant shoot using the LCD. VERY disappointing. I haven’t used this camera in years. I use the LUMIX ZS100 now but my son is in photography class and he is using my T2i. We went out to take photos and he wanted to take a ground level shot but couldnt unless you lay on the muddy ground! Grr. Oh well.

@Rhosalinawrote:

Thanks for your reply. I am shooting outdoors super bright sun. Apparently you cant shoot using the LCD. VERY disappointing. I haven’t used this camera in years. I use the LUMIX ZS10 now but my son is in photography class and he is using my T2i. We went out to take photos and he wanted to take a ground level shot but couldnt unless you lay on the muddy ground! Grr. Oh well.

No one should undertake to become a photographer who is afraid to look like a jackass or lie on muddy ground. One does what one has to do to get the shot. Your son will accept that, or he'll become a computer programmer or an electrical engineer.

The T2i is a fine camera wherewithal to learn the trade. My wife used hers for several years until I badgered her into upgrading to a 7D II. I'm not sure she's entirely forgiven me, because she appreciated the light weight of the T2i.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Very funny - The entire pond ibanks are also covered in goose crap as well of deep mud - to get one photo of the pond wasnot worth it. It isnt a serious 'hobby' for him. We were just frustrated we couldnt get the live view working.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/8200751400.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John! I will give it a shot if the firmware will finish its install... I did get it to shoot in movie mode but I had to hold the shutter release for 5 seconds before it would take a photo.. 😞 Who has that kind of time when you are taking action shots??

There should be no problem. The manual has a whole chapter called "Live View Shooting". 8^)

Have you tried with the lens in manual focus?

Announcements