cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T2i Endless Sensor Cleaning

misharenu99
Apprentice

Hello,

A few months back, I went to use my Canon T2i for the first time in a long time. The sensor cleaning icon appeared and the camera was unresponsive. After a considerable amount of time (10-15 minutes), the cleaning stopped, and I was able to take a photograph. Mistakenly thinking the issue had resolved itself, I turned the camera off.

I haven't been able to use it since.

When I turn the camera on, the sensor cleaning icon appears, and the camera becomes unresponsive to absolutely everything: pressing menu, making another selection (say from Av to P), or anything else. It doesn't even turn off when I flip the switch; I have to remove the battery. I left it to see how long it would take to turn off after flipping the switch and 20 minutes later, it was still cleaning. I finally broke down and removed the battery.

I couldn't find anything online about this. The best I could find was taking the battery and SD card out for awhile, which I did. I took them out for weeks. No dice; the sensor cleaning issue still exists.

Not knowing what to do or if I should pay to have this fixed, I left the camera fallow. Then my uncle, who has higher end Canon cameras than I do, told me to look for a CMOS battery, remove it and the regular battery, and try again. To the best of my searching, This camera doesn't have a CMOS battery ... so that won't work.

Any ideas on what's wrong, what I should do, or if this is worth paying to have fixed?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!!

1 REPLY 1

ScottyP
Authority
Hi,

T2i is a pretty old body. I can't imagine getting it fixed would make financial sense.

You already tried leaving the battery out for weeks and it did not work, it isn't even letting you access the menu so there is not a lot more you can even try to do. If you could borrow another battery you could try that I guess.

You could send it off for expensive evaluation, and then probably hear the news it is either toasted, or it needs repair more expensive than makes sense.

Frustrating as it is I think you need a new body. Contact Canon and see if the Canon loyalty program would get you a discount on a new or refurbished body.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements