cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-6 keeps losing focus beep and sometimes LEDs in creative modes. ICON modes work fine.

gedansky
Contributor
Here’s a post that I made on Digital photography review about a possible tech issue with the Canon T6, and the fix for it:

I had a problem with my focus LED’s and the beep not working properly. I tested them in both creative and icon modes and found that they worked fine in icon modes but seemingly did not in creative modes.

So in each creative mode (Av, Tv, P and M) I tested each of the 9 points separately and they fired just fine in single point mode, but NOT in multi-point. In all cases the beep did sound.

So I went to the menu, to the last “wrench” on the right, and hit “clear settings” and “clear custom functions” putting the T6 back to factory spec. At this point everything works fine.

I have encountered this problem three times (just happened again) in the past week or so, so my next step is to re-install the firmware.
8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@gedansky wrote:
Here’s a post that I made on Digital photography review about a possible tech issue with the Canon T6, and the fix for it:

I had a problem with my focus LED’s and the beep not working properly. I tested them in both creative and icon modes and found that they worked fine in icon modes but seemingly did not in creative modes.

So in each creative mode (Av, Tv, P and M) I tested each of the 9 points separately and they fired just fine in single point mode, but NOT in multi-point. In all cases the beep did sound.

So I went to the menu, to the last “wrench” on the right, and hit “clear settings” and “clear custom functions” putting the T6 back to factory spec. At this point everything works fine.

I have encountered this problem three times (just happened again) in the past week or so, so my next step is to re-install the firmware.

There is nothing wrong with your camera.  Installing firmware will not fix it.  You have proven this to yourself by resetting the camera and clearing settings.  This works because you have made setting changes, and have apparently forgotten what they were, or that you even made changes.

If you have not downloaded the ful Instruction Manual for the Canon Support page for the T6, then I suggest that you do.  It is apparent that you are not familiar with the nuances of how the camera works.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ray-uk
Whiz

In particular read the section of the manual on autofocus settings, the camera performs differently on AI focus, AI servo and One Shot.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...my next step is to re-install the firmware."

No it is not.  There is nothing wrong with the camera and installing FW you don't need is not a good idea.  Ever!

I agree with the above that user error has to do with this.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

gedansky
Contributor
Thanks guys. I’ll gonna go to the manual.

"I’ll gonna go to the manual."

Smiley Happy

EB

gedansky
Contributor
And I’m going to learn to type.

Stephen

My quick 2 cents... just as an observation, not specific to your issue, because I don't know what exactly is going on... The T6 comes with the non-STM lens, the EF-S 18-55 IS II lens. This kit lens is a little more basic than the newer version of the kit lens, and can struggle to focus in less than ideal lighting situations, so to verify your gear is working as it should, you'll need to ensure you have GREAT lighting, and you're trying to focus on something with good contrast at an acceptable distance from your camera. Think - outside during the day, and try taking photos of actual objects, not the sky, the ground, a wall, etc. The kit lens is not a macro lens, despite it saying "macro" on the lens, so don't test this by trying to take photos of flowers up close. Try to take photos of normal everyday things with good contrast - like a person, or something. Use the viewfinder, not the screen to take your photo. They focus using different systems. The first time, use the green box "Full Auto" mode. If the flash pops up and tries to fire multiple times (like a strobe), something isn't right. Either you don't have enough light, or the lens is struggling to focus. 

If you've done this, and you're getting good results, take it from there. Push all the buttons. Play with all the settings. Mess it up. (Just don't twist the MF ring on the lens with it in AF mode, that will break the lens!) Making mistakes is how you learn. Once you figure out where you've gone wrong, work backwards from there. 

If you need help, let us know here, or reach out to support. Our team is happy to help! We're at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). We also have a handy video tutorial on YouTube HERE

I hope this helps!

"Making mistakes is how you learn."

Experience is the best teacher!

EB
Announcements