cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for shooting Orlando City Soccer match

mumra06
Apprentice

Good evening. I'm a new Rebel T6 owner. It's my first DSLR. I used to bring my point and shoot to the stadium and its pics were OK. Now we are in a smaller soccer specific stadium seating approx 25,500. I am looking for suggestions for shooting. Modes, ISO etc. Game starts at 4PM. The game is 2 weeks out so weather is a huge question. Stadium rules say no lenses longer than 6" without press credentials. I plan on bringing the 70-300mm lens. I am seeking advice and suggestions. 

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest that you attend a few team practices, so that you can iron out the kinks and get some practice time yourself.  No one can tell you what camera settings to use ahead of time.  Too much depends upon your skill set, which you seem to be lacking.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I used to bring my point and shoot ..."

If you were happy with the results you got with your P&S you will love the results with the T6 and 70-300mil.  Don't change anything that you did previously.

Of course if you want better, there are several things you can do.  A lot more information needs to be known.  However, the two best things you can do is select the location you shoot from.  Sidelines good, bleachers bad !  The second is, get up close and personal with a post editor.  The best photos come from post editing not from the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...weather is a huge question."

Keep in mind the T6 and 70-300mil are not water proof.  You can put them in a plastic bag with a hole cut out for the front lens element.  Secure it with a rubber band or gaffer's tape.

EB

@mumra06 wrote:

Good evening. I'm a new Rebel T6 owner. It's my first DSLR. I used to bring my point and shoot to the stadium and its pics were OK. Now we are in a smaller soccer specific stadium seating approx 25,500. I am looking for suggestions for shooting. Modes, ISO etc. Game starts at 4PM. The game is 2 weeks out so weather is a huge question. Stadium rules say no lenses longer than 6" without press credentials. I plan on bringing the 70-300mm lens. I am seeking advice and suggestions. 

What's your role in this? It sounds like your best shot would be to try for press credentials, if you can come up with a plausible justification. Does your employer have anything to do with the event? If so, you could start by talking to their Public Information Officer. Or their official photographer, if they have one. If they don't, maybe it could be you.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

"...try for press credentials ..."

If this is not just an amateur or kid's league it may not be possible at all. Never shot soccer but pro football and baseball press passes for photographers is not free.  Not easy to get at all.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

"...try for press credentials ..."

If this is not just an amateur or kid's league it may not be possible at all. Never shot soccer but pro football and baseball press passes for photographers is not free.  Not easy to get at all.

I understand. But "Orlando City Soccer" doesn't sound like MLB or the NFL. In my part of the world, even "professional" soccer can probably use all the press coverage it can get.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have no idea about soccer and have no interest in knowing.  Perhaps they are free to anyone but I seriously doubt it.

EB

I Googled it & it looks like some form of Pro enterprise in a pro style stadium. Most likely means shooting from your seat wherever it is. With a crop body & 300 mm lens you might be OK relative to what a P & S did. You will need to practice a bit & I confess to not having shot soccer or football but I strongly suspect you will need roughly a 1/500 sec shutter speed give or take. You are advised to try Tv mode, AI Servo for the AF & whatever ISO it takes to keep your shutter speed in the range of 1/250 to 1/800 & try those to see what freezes the action / players / ball. You will need to follow the action with the AF activated (by half pressing the shutter button) so that the camera can calculate movement as you pan. You can try both single shots or set the camera Drive for multiple shots when the button is fully pressed. You could also try Sport Mode but being in charge of the shutter speed (Tv Mode) is better.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements