cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for a new replacement camera

UncleJoe
Contributor

Hello and thank you in advance for your help with this matter. I've had a Canon Rebel XT for the last 12 years and I want to upgrade at this point. Over time I have accumulated some accessories for the XT that I obviously want to be able to roll over for usage with what ever I chose to replace the XT with. I am hopeful and assuming that the lens I have will be of some standard, I also have a remote for the shutter the additional battery pack that mounts to the bottom of the body a standard mount flash ect. I can provide specific model numbers if that would be more helpful. At a glance I was looking at the t7i model on the belief that being part of the rebel line it might be compatible, but I am open to any and all suggestions. I am old enough to know that one can reach a point where one is better off starting from scratch if that is the case than so be it. 

My interest in photography is general but I have been thinking of doing some star field shots (astronomical), landscape some occasional portrait work and as a grandfather I would not mind having some basic video capabilities available. Thanks again for any assistance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

After your camera model, Canon came out with the 7D (with the 18MP sensor) and used the same sensor in the T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, and 60D cameras.  It wasn't until the T6i that they put a new sensor in the camera (with some gains over the performance of the long-running 18MP that they used for years).  

But when they released the T7i and 77D they replaced the sensor yet again and this time the camera got some VERY significant gains.  The T7i & 77D are a huge upgrade over any previous Rebel series camera (most other models were very small gains over the prievious year's model.)

This is why I'd agree that you should look at either the T7i or 77D.  The two camera have the same sensor but mostly different body features.

If you look at the "top" of each camera, the T7i has dials and controls much like your current camera (it's changed a tiny bit and there are a few extra buttons but it's mostly going to look very similar to what you have now).  But if you look at the top of the 77D... the mode dial is moved to the other side of the viewfinder and in it's place there is now an LCD display screen (not video - just simple LCD) which has all the current exposure info, etc. all displayed.  

Also, another significant change is on the back of the camera.  On your camera you have a simple up/down/left/right button (which also access different functions).  This is the same (or very similar) on the T7i.  But on the 77D the buttons have a knurled rotation ring (wheel) around them and you can rotate it.  If you like to shoot with manual exposure, the front wheel (next to the shutter button) changes the shutter speed and the rear-dial (which you can easily access with your thumb) changes the aperture (f-stop).  This makes it much faster to control than your current camera.

The extra display and dial are features of the mid-grade and pro-grade cameras.   I think the difference for the "body only" price is about $50.  The camera performance, resolution, ISO, focus system, etc. etc. are all identical (they have the same sensor.)

One noteable MISSING feature... Canon does not make a battery grip for either the T7i or the 77D ... nor can you use a grip from a previous model camera.

If you want a battery grip, you should probably look at a Canon 80D.

Other than that, all cameras can use the same lenses that you've been using on your Canon XT.

If you are using the same entry-level lenses that might have been included with your XT (such as the 18-55mm zoom) then you would want to be aware that the new versions of those lenses are significantly improved.  The new versions have at "STM" suffix on the name (e.g. Canon EOS EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6mm IS STM)  (I bolded the "STM").  This means the lens has Canon's new "stepper motor" focusing system (very quiet and smooth) but Canon also updated the optics.  The new lenses are a bit sharper.  The EF 50mm f/1.8 lens was updated with an "STM" version which also updated the number and shape of the aperture blades so now the out-of-focus blur (background blur) is much smoother & creamier than the old generation.

You wont be able to use the battery pack (battery grip) that mounted on the bottom of your XT (battery grips are always camera model-specific and never carry over to any new model).  

You should find that your remote (wired) shutter release fits and works just fine (it probably has a jack that looks like a mini headphone jack).   However all of these cameras now support WiFi and you can actually  use a smartphone (there's a free app) to remotely control the camera.

All the new cameras have video capability (it wouldn't matter which model you get) although of note... these new cameras now have Canon's Dual-Pixel CMOS AF (a feature previously only found on mid-grade and high-end models).  The Dual-Pixel CMOS AF allows the camera to use a phase-detect-like focus system (light passes through a beam-splitter (pism) to split it into two phases.  If the light re-converges in-phase then the camera is focused at that particular position... if not, then the lens is not focused and the direction and distance of focus can instantly be determined by comparing the two phases.  

Ok, so that sounds technical (and it is) but what it means to YOU is that the camera can do continuous auto-focus during live-video and it can follow your subject as they move closer or farther ... the camera tracks focus very accurately and you wont see the camera "hunt" for focus.

You'll get better audio quality if you attach an external microphone (specifically you should check out the Rode VideoMic Pro which is a "powered" external mic with enough gain to avoid that "hiss" sound you often hear on other mics).  It's designed to mount in the hot-shoe socket on top of the camera.  

The "STM" lenses (the new lenses) have focus motors which are no so quiet that it's extremely difficult to hear them when recording video (you probably wont hear anything but if you try really really hard ... you might just barely make out the sound of the focus motor.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

57 REPLIES 57

@UncleJoe wrote:

I guess one you could say the hand writing is on the wall. The t7i seems to be in the cards and a purchase from the refurbished store goes without saying. The current zoom lens that I am using is the EF 70-200 2.8 IS USM and has been my goto so long I don't even know if I will be able to remove it from the body, I think I paid a good deal for that lens when I purchased it is the difference in the new technology worth retirement for her? I believe that would be the only other decision I would want to make with this purchase. If anyone would care I will try to let you what I wind up with at the end of this venture. 

I would like to once more express my appreciation for everyone's responses I feel in the company of kindred spirits if I might be so bold. Thank you all!

The comparable lens that most of us use now is the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, which is a newer model. But I see no reason for you to replace your 70-200, which was and is a fine lens. If you ever get to the point where you believe that you actually need the newer version, you can take action then. In the meantime, spend your money on upgrading the rest of your equipment. I agree with those who have recommended the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. Many of us (including both me and my wife) have it and like it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@UncleJoe wrote:

I guess one you could say the hand writing is on the wall. The t7i seems to be in the cards and a purchase from the refurbished store goes without saying. The current zoom lens that I am using is the EF 70-200 2.8 IS USM and has been my goto so long I don't even know if I will be able to remove it from the body, I think I paid a good deal for that lens when I purchased it is the difference in the new technology worth retirement for her? I believe that would be the only other decision I would want to make with this purchase. If anyone would care I will try to let you what I wind up with at the end of this venture. 

I would like to once more express my appreciation for everyone's responses I feel in the company of kindred spirits if I might be so bold. Thank you all!

I agree that that is a good upgrade and will keep you happy for a few years. 

My suggestion for a shorter lens would be the EF-S 17-135 IS STM. This covers a broader range and you will probably seldom take it off. It would perfectly compliment the EF 70-200. The 18-135 isn't fast as the EF 17-55, but the zoom range compensates for that and it is half the price. The T7i offers sufficient increase in (quality) ISO that you most likely won't notice the 2 stops you lose. The T7i's increased sensitivity on the lower EV shouldn't let the 18-135's slower aperture be a problem in lower light.

Reviews:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/17-55mm.htm (available for around $550-$600)*

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-135mm-stm.htm (available for around $250-$280)*

All your other equipment should work with the T7i, except you will need a new SD card as the XT uses CF. Because your file sizes are so much larger, I recommend a 32 or 64 GB*. Leave the card in the camera and use a USB cable to down load the pictures to avoid wear on the card.

* - you can usually find better deals on line. BUT, be careful of the grifters. Buy from recognized outlets such as Adorama, B&H, KEH, Tiger Direct, and the like. Some people like Amazon, but I'm leery when buying their electronic equipment. Canon is probably the safest, but they are also the most expensive. You can often find good deals on Adorama and B&H's used equipment too.

Whatever you buy, good luck and enjoy.

@UncleJoe wrote:
The current zoom lens that I am using is the EF 70-200 2.8 IS USM and has been my goto so long I don't even know if I will be able to remove it from the body, I think I paid a good deal for that lens when I purchased it is the difference in the new technology worth retirement for her?

I own both the original EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM as well as the new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II.

The optics and performance of the original lens was (still is) extremely good.  The new version is fractionally sharper -- not so noticeable near the center of the frame but slightly noticeable near the edges.

The other difference is that the image stabilization on the new version is improved and now claims about 4 stops of image stabilization.  I'm not sure what the original lens claimed.

So while the new lens is better, since the original is quite good (and I still haven't sold my copy), it may not be "enough" better to be worth trading up.  Another way to think of it is... since a new copy is going to cost about $2k ... where else might you spend that $2k and would it do more good if spent elsewhere?  Maybe you'd like some speedlite flash strobes.  Maybe you'd like an extra lens or two.  etc.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@UncleJoe wrote:

Unfortunately, the Rebel T7i is not yet available through the Refurbished Store, and neither is the 77D.  The good news is that the 80D with the 18-55mm STM lens is available.  If you're thnking of upgrading your lens, then you may have the budget for a 6D at the Refurbished Store, which has low noise performance that the APS-C sensor body cameras cannot approach.

EOS 6D2017_05_068836.jpg

The above shot was made with a 6D and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.  There was no special lighting, and the ISO was 10000.  There was someone out of the line of sight on the left shooting a video.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That's almost unfair, it's a beautiful shot by my standards any way ( no disrespect meant). I saw the 80D with the lens that you spoke of oand $1249 is certainly within budget for these kind of results. I guess that I did not have great concept of the deference that the , is it the sensor that determines the image size, makes? I have begun the process of purchasing the t7i but even after shipping I can still return it and replace it with what seems far superior from the point of view of coming out of an XT if you get my meaning. I think I need a major rethink. Thank you for saving me from what might have proven to be a impulse purchase.

@UncleJoe wrote:
That's almost unfair, it's a beautiful shot by my standards any way ( no disrespect meant). I saw the 80D with the lens that you spoke of oand $1249 is certainly within budget for these kind of results. I guess that I did not have great concept of the deference that the , is it the sensor that determines the image size, makes? I have begun the process of purchasing the t7i but even after shipping I can still return it and replace it with what seems far superior from the point of view of coming out of an XT if you get my meaning. I think I need a major rethink. Thank you for saving me from what might have proven to be a impulse purchase.

Be careful, though. Note that Waddizzle's picture was taken with a 6D, not an 80D. The 6D is a full-frame camera; the 80D is not. FF cameras generally have better low-light performance (because their sensors have larger pixels), and the 6D's is unusually good, even for a FF camera. You won't get that kind of result with an 80D.

If you were to decide to buy a FF camera, remember that it won't be able to use EF-S lenses. The 70-200's are not EF-S lenses, but the rest of the lenses we've been discussing in this thread are.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I think I need a major rethink."

Yes you do but it isn't where you think it is from.  In your normal real world use the T7i and or the 80D or even the 6D are all going to make nice photos.  The distinction comes from pixel peepers not form actual users.  The T7i and the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens are going to make beautiful photos.  Adding your already good 70-200mm and you will have the ability to do some nice work.

That same photo that you think is so good, and it is nice, could have been done with the T7i/ EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens combo and most will not be able to tell the difference.  That combo is going to be hard to beat.  Now it makes no difference to me which camera you decide on but if you think you have to get a 6D to do that photo, you are living in fantasyland.

Let's imagine for a bit; the T7i with EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens or perhaps the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon. You own the Ef 70-200mm f2.8L.  Let's add the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.  Pretty nice outfit don't you think?  Lastly stop reading posts and go make some pictures!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

UncleJoe
Contributor
Well put! Thank you for all the insight!

@UncleJoe wrote:
Well put! Thank you for all the insight!

You can buy the 80D for the same price, or less, of a T7i or 77D from the Canon Online Refurbished Store.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

UncleJoe
Contributor
I can see I'm going to learn a great deal here! I hope that at some point I will be able to repay all of your kindness and the tremendous amount of knowledge I have received from you and all of the contributors in this forum!
Announcements