cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split image/prismatic focusing screen for Rebel

SteveYC
Apprentice

Is it possible to install a split image/prismatic focusing screen in a Rebel T6?  The Canon rep on the phone said yes, but I found a posting at https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART143832 that says no for a bunch of Rebels.  So which is it?  And I wasn't able to find many sellers of a focusing screen for the Rebel, and the one I did find at www.focusingscreen.com looks a little cheap.  But I really would like a split image/prismatic focusing aid in the viewfinder. 

Another question: if I do install an aftermarket focusin screen, would the red dots for AF go away?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

@SteveYC wrote:

Is it possible to install a split image/prismatic focusing screen in a Rebel T6?  The Canon rep on the phone said yes, but I found a posting at https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART143832 that says no for a bunch of Rebels.  So which is it?  And I wasn't able to find many sellers of a focusing screen for the Rebel, and the one I did find at www.focusingscreen.com looks a little cheap.  But I really would like a split image/prismatic focusing aid in the viewfinder. 

Another question: if I do install an aftermarket focusin screen, would the red dots for AF go away?

Thanks.

Katz Eye, a company in western Massachusetts, used to make such screens for earlier Rebels, but they went out of business two or three years ago. I bought Katz Eye screens for my 50D and for my XTi. Both worked, but there was a significant drawback on the XTi (and all Rebels at the time): the autofocus points could not display properly. It had to do with the way the AF point display was generated, and Katz Eye warned purchasers that it couldn't be corrected. Whether that applies to more recent Rebels, I don't know. But I'd be careful to look out for it if I were looking for an aftermarket screen for a Rebel.

So the bottom line is that at one time the answer to your last question was yes. Whether it still is, you'd have to look into.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@SteveYC wrote:

Thanks.

I say forget the whole idea. 

The more advanced camera bodies, for which Canon makes focusing screens, also have a setting in their menus so that you can tell the camera which focusing screen you have.  If you do not change the setting, then the cameras will not AF properly.  Your Rebel has no such adjustment.

In today's world of auto focusing lenses, why do you need a focusing screen?  Qualtiy manual focusl lenses sold today contain electronics that give you focus confirmation.  In other words, a focusing is not only unnecessary, they're obsolete.  

If your manual lens does not have focus confirmation, then 10x Live View is your best option.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

SteveYC
Apprentice

To use the 10X for detailed focusing, you have to turn on the Live Preview, and then it's a bit like looking at a wobbly highly mangified image.  But the split image/prismatic viewfinder is always present.  A good example of its use is looking at a tree.  It helps you choose between focusing on the branches and leaves of the tree, or something behind it.  Or shooting through a fence.  And with the red dot AF you have to put the red dot right on the skinny fencpost.  So, the 10X and AF aren't awful, they're just not as good for me as split image/prismatic.  But I think most of the time I'm just doing simple shots where it won't matter, I guuueeess.

@SteveYC wrote:

To use the 10X for detailed focusing, you have to turn on the Live Preview, and then it's a bit like looking at a wobbly highly mangified image. ...  But I think most of the time I'm just doing simple shots where it won't matter, I guuueeess.

A wobbly image is usually caused by a off-center load that is too much for the tripod system that you are using.  Most likely, the head cannot handle the off-center load, or heavy load, very well.  Fully raising the center column of a tripod can cause the "earthquake" issue, too.

I will be blunt.  You do not want to use a focusing screnn in your camera.  Period.  Simply because you cannot tell the camera that you have installed a different focusing screen.

Your camera has options that allow you to reprogram buttons so that you can control when the AF is active, and when it is not.  Instead of the camera refocusing on a bird in the bramble whenever you press the shutter button, you can disable the AF system by pressing the button as you take a picture.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements