cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedbooster for SL3

vincent228
Contributor

Maybe I am misunderstanding the use of a speedbooster, and i am hoping someone can put me on the right path.

I have an SL3. I am being asked more and more by my company to take photos of classes we are promoting on the manufacturers website. The problem is, I find myself more and more in low light situations. Obviously, I end up getting a lot of noise in my photos, and am getting a lot of motion blur due to having a slow shutter speed.

I cannot afford a full frame camera, so the crop sensor was fine until now.

I ran across a a few articles about speed boosters. my understanding was it would take the light from your lenses, and focus them fully on the cropped sensor.

am I correct with that?

I have a pretty good set of lenses for the SL3, so my idea was to get a speed booster that fits the SL3 lenses, and be able to focus the full light onto the crop sensor of the SL3.

Am I correct? Is that how it works?

If I am, I was told Canon makes a speed booster for this.

Please help set me right.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

What you need is a "Light Booster".

Get a flash for your camera and bounce the light off the ceiling to light up the whole room for a group photo. If the room is too large, you may need two or even three flash units that you can fire remotely.

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I don't think these devices are available for your camera, typically they are used with mirrorless cameras.  There isn't room for these "reverse teleconverters" to mount to DSLR bodies.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

What you need is a "Light Booster".

Get a flash for your camera and bounce the light off the ceiling to light up the whole room for a group photo. If the room is too large, you may need two or even three flash units that you can fire remotely.

Mike Sowsun

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lenses do you have?

If you can zoom with your feet, the Canon 50mm f/1.8 might be an inexpensive way of getting some more light.

I do have the 50.

My only problem is being in an enclosed small area, and having to get as much in the shot as possible.

I have been using the 24mm. it has the perfect framing in the areas I work in.

I guess I am just waiting for the unicorn to land at my feet.

I need everything, and have nothing. LOL

Maybe I can convince the boss that the ful frame and all the lenses should go on his amex. Smiley Wink

Have you tried pushing the ISO?

Definitely also recommend adding flash.  If flash is not allowed though, are your subjects stationary?  If so, use a tripod with slow shutter.

In terms of moving to full frame... A good lens will typically give you more performance.  e.g. when moving from a Rebel with kit 18-135mm lens to the EOS 6D and a 50mm f/1.2L... I got at least three stops better light gathering (f/1.2 vs f/3.5 at the kit lens' shortest focal length).  ISO performance I estimated around 2 stops.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

vincent228
Contributor
I popped the ISO a few times. Unfortunately it gave too much noise when I got to where I needed to be. Im going to try the flash, or a few extra lights. I wish there was a magic fix. Im sure im expecting more than I should out of that SL3. But I gotta tell ya, I Love that camera.

vincent228
Contributor
BTW. I would like to thank everyone very much for all of the great info and guidance. This is exactly what I had hoped for, when photography became one of my passions. And this Canon group definitely did not disappoint.

How far have you pushed the ISO? Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG only?

Canon's DPP4 software for processing RAW files can help you deal with controlling noise issues. Also, if the images are primarily for web display only, downsizing the images for the web will make noise less noticeable as well.

Announcements