cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter speed actually changing?

asbell
Contributor

When I change the shutter speed I dont hear the difference.  It appears to be doing what its supposed to do because the photo is not blurry when I mobe the camera.  However, when I hear the open and close it SOUNDS like 1/60 not 1/2000.  Is this supposed to be the case?

OES t4i with latest firmware as of 9/4/2016 CCF13104

9 REPLIES 9

@asbell wrote:

When I change the shutter speed I dont hear the difference.  It appears to be doing what its supposed to do because the photo is not blurry when I mobe the camera.  However, when I hear the open and close it SOUNDS like 1/60 not 1/2000.  Is this supposed to be the case?

OES t4i with latest firmware as of 9/4/2016 CCF13104

The higher that shutter speeds get, the more they're going to sound alike. Google how a focal plane shutter works. That should clear it up.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob.  Thanks.  I looked it up but I am no clearer than before. The shutter speed is fast when I do continuous, but in single shot mode its still sounds like 1/60 or less.  Is there a good video tutorial on this camera?

@asbell wrote:

Hi Bob.  Thanks.  I looked it up but I am no clearer than before. The shutter speed is fast when I do continuous, but in single shot mode its still sounds like 1/60 or less.  Is there a good video tutorial on this camera?

Above about 1/200 of a second, it's very difficult to differentiate shutter speeds by sound, because the shutter doesn't just open and then close. Instead, the curtains move in tandem, forming a slit that travels across the sensor. At slower speeds the shutter does open and then close, but in continuous mode the camera may be leaving the shutter open and firing electronically.

If you're getting the expected results, you may simply be looking for a problem that doesn't exist. But if you're actually interested in the technical details of how a focal plane shutter works and how continuous shooting is implemented, there are probably articles, and possibly videos, on those subjects, though I rather doubt that they'd be specific to your camera. If you want to pursue this search, you should probably seek guidance from someone more technically savvy than I am. Maybe Tim Campbell could help; he's probably the most technically informed contributor we have in the forum, and he's usually quite willing to share his expertise.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks!

Look at the metadata in whichever post processing software you are using. It tells you the shutter speed, the aperture (f/stop) and the ISO setting.  You can't rely on the sound. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

thx scott

asbell
Contributor

Anyone know of a dece t "how-to" for the t4i? I have owned the camera for 3 years and while am very technical, I find myself still unable to tame this camera.

@asbell wrote:

Anyone know of a dece t "how-to" for the t4i? I have owned the camera for 3 years and while am very technical, I find myself still unable to tame this camera.

You can download the instruction manual from the T4i support page.  Use this link to find the support page.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/

If you have specific quesions, feel free to ask them.  As to your current question, I don't see how what noise the camera makes at shutter speeds over 1/60 can tell you much.  I'd think most of the noise is from the mirror.  The mirror can only move so fast, so you should quckly reach a point where faster shutter speeds don't move the mirror any faster, which means it would make the same sound.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There are plenty of resources on the "Canon Digital Learning Cener" on the Canon USA web site, from teaching videos to technical "how-to" articles.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos101_cll.shtml

The "EOS 101" series of videos is a good place to start.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements