cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter count vs file-name or shutter count incrementing whilst the file-name apparently doesn't

SeanMcK
Contributor

This and my previous question stem from me tiding up my photo folders i.e sorting out naming problems and incorrectly located photos.

Cameras concerned 100D, 1300D, 700D, can't check the shutter count on my old 350D.

My question is, are there any actions that I can take, either deliberately or accidentally, that will incremement the shutter count BUT NOT a name counter in the photo nameing/numbeing scheme?

For example, according to my records on 27 May 2017 the shutter count and corresponding filename on my 700D were out of sync by 1 , 5726 & IMG_5725. I changed the name of the photo to IMG_5726 and put a copy on the memory card so that the next photo taken by the camera would be, and was, named IMG_5727. However on 24 August 2018 they were out of sync by 4, 6511 & IMG_6497.

Aside from my altering file names I know of no action that I can take that will cause this, hence my question.

As far as I am aware shooting a movie or using the live view does not increment the shutter count but a movie will increment the file name.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

SeanMcK
Contributor

Solved, why is it possibilities come to mind just after posting a question

It would appear I have found my answers

1) Cardless shots (I normally have this disabled but just tried it and the SC increments whilst the image name does not)

2) Remote firing via EOS utilities, again I do not normally use this, infact I had to install it to test

Something that may or may not be of a problem to you.

The Canon file name IMG_XXXX tops out at 9999, then the camera creates a new folder and starts over at 0001.

Depending on where you file your photos, and if you don't rename them, you could wind up overwriting files.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Ta John, I can cope with that though it may be a while before I breach 10k.

Just had a play with a 750D and shutter count software on a Mac and you can see the various counts change sort of as you shoot though you have to switch the camera off and on for the readings to update

@SeanMcK wrote:

Ta John, I can cope with that though it may be a while before I breach 10k.

Just had a play with a 750D and shutter count software on a Mac and you can see the various counts change sort of as you shoot though you have to switch the camera off and on for the readings to update

I will typically have 2000+ shots in a single day at a sporting event.  Burst of continuous shooting lasting one half to one second can mean 5-10 shots.  Sometimes I may shoot longer than a second.  If shoot bursts like that 200-300 times over the course of 2-3 hours, I am easily at 2000 shots and counting.  

I am not worried about shutter counts.  If a shutter will fail, then it will fail.  If I am interested, I use Lightroom, which can tell me exactly how many files of shots one each camera body that I have.

File numbers can give me a rough estimate of how many shots I may have taken.  But, because of the volume of shots I might take on some days, I wind up erasing my memory cards before a big shooting day, which can reset the file count to zero.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle,  thanks for the reply

In relation to Canon DSLR's, Light room can read the info off what or from where?

Whilst you are correct that if a shutter is going to fail it will fail but the I would think the likely hood increases with time and usage and knowing the shutter count may allow people to make preperations if nothing else.

With regards to "erasing my memory cards", why would that " reset the file count to zero."?

You won't get shutter count via LR, butLightroom can read camera type from the metadata. It will tell you how many images are in Lightroom library based on camera name.

You're correct Sean, formatting card won't automatically reset file count unless you set that option in Menu. You can choose Manual Reset, Automatic Reset or Continuous numbering.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Ahhh ta John, what I have read says that Canon don't make the shutter count available in the photo's data and is why I bought a Mac and Dire studio's shuttercount etc.

My reading does say Nikon do put it in the EXIF and I know Oly stick it in a 'secret' menu accessed on camera by a well published button pressing sequence.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Sean,

That should say reset file numbers, reset file count. LR can tell you how many images you have from a camera body serial number.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements