cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I buy the Eos R?

relindwto6
Apprentice

I'm in the process of selling my sony gear for the purpose of switching to canon mirrorless and rf lenses. I heard that there is a new Mirrorless Eos r pro in the works. Should I wait for it or should I just buy the Eos R?

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I believe the announcement is today. Wait just a bit. 8^)

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The R5, R6 and a slew of new RF lenses are going to be announced today.

These announcements mean the R, and RP are going to to become super affordable.

I wouldn't buy either due to battery life and the muti-function bar thingy on the back of the R.

But you either love it or hate it.  The first and second gen value isn't there for me...  the R5 (hopefully) is another story...  but it looks like it might be $3900 which will put it out of reach for many.   

Then again "Winter is coming"...  I mean christmas and Canon always puts stuff on sale during the holidays.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

The R5, R6 and a slew of new RF lenses are going to be announced today.

I wouldn't buy either due to battery life and the muti-function bar thingy on the back of the R.

But you either love it or hate it.  The first and second gen value isn't there for me...  the R5 (hopefully) is another story...  but it looks like it might be $3900 which will put it out of reach for many.   

Then again "Winter is coming"...  I mean christmas and Canon always puts stuff on sale during the holidays.

What they'll do, probably, is throw in the battery grip to sweeten the deal. But I have to admit that I've never used the grip that came as a freebie with my 5D4. With the grip, the camera won't fit, even in my giant Domke bag.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@shadowsports wrote:

For many, finances are an issue and the R5/R6 are priced high, as expected of new cameras with the kind of tech they are coming with. The prices will give many pause, especially with the unemployment situation and uncertainty people are facing. 

I expect the prices for the R to drop, which could make it a more affordable and realistic purchase in comparison. The touchbar is an outright disaster, in my view, and apparently Canon concurs, as we have seen neither hide nor hair of it since, due to its universal unpopularity. Still, people deal with its clunkiness and get used to it. The battery situation for the R is also horrendous, but again, there are things people do to increase its life, such as turning off bluetooth, wifi, limiting use of the EVF, etc. Bottom line is I do see that the R for many could become a more enticing purchase. 

@John_SD wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

For many, finances are an issue and the R5/R6 are priced high, as expected of new cameras with the kind of tech they are coming with. The prices will give many pause, especially with the unemployment situation and uncertainty people are facing. 

I expect the prices for the R to drop, which could make it a more affordable and realistic purchase in comparison. The touchbar is an outright disaster, in my view, and apparently Canon concurs, as we have seen neither hide nor hair of it since, due to its universal unpopularity. Still, people deal with its clunkiness and get used to it. The battery situation for the R is also horrendous, but again, there are things people do to increase its life, such as turning off bluetooth, wifi, limiting use of the EVF, etc. Bottom line is I do see that the R for many could become a more enticing purchase. 

The R5 comes with a new version of the LPE6 battery. Would use of that battery improve the R?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob, I think there would be a marginal improvement in battery life using the newer LP-E6NH -- about 15 percent worth -- but better than nothing. And Canon, to its credit, made the new battery backwards-compatible with the older LP-E6N. For the R6, that would mean about 510 shots per charge using the screen or 380 with the viewfinder. However, in "real life" people seem to get much more life out of a single charge by using good power-management techniques. Would have to use one in the older R to see what kind of a real-world difference it makes there. 

@John_SD wrote:

Bob, I think there would be a marginal improvement in battery life using the newer LP-E6NH -- about 15 percent worth -- but better than nothing. And Canon, to its credit, made the new battery backwards-compatible with the older LP-E6N. For the R6, that would mean about 510 shots per charge using the screen or 380 with the viewfinder. However, in "real life" people seem to get much more life out of a single charge by using good power-management techniques. Would have to use one in the older R to see what kind of a real-world difference it makes there. 

The spare batteries are with John, always.  So, I am not sure why that might be a non-starter for him.  Me?  I would go with a battery grip, mainly for my big hands.  The built-in spare battery is just a bonus feature, for me.

I have yet to see a spec on estimated shots.  My M3 was rated at less than 300 shots.  I could get over 500 hundred with a manual focus Rokinon 14mm T3.1.  Seeing how I only use the camera in "tourist mode", I could shoot all day without worry.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

The spare batteries are with John, always.  So, I am not sure why that might be a non-starter for him.  Me?  I would go with a battery grip, mainly for my big hands.  The built-in spare battery is just a bonus feature, for me.

I have yet to see a spec on estimated shots.  My M3 was rated at less than 300 shots.  I could get over 500 hundred with a manual focus Rokinon 14mm T3.1.  Seeing how I only use the camera in "tourist mode", I could shoot all day without worry.

Huh? 

John_SD
Whiz

@relindwto6 wrote:

I'm in the process of selling my sony gear for the purpose of switching to canon mirrorless and rf lenses. I heard that there is a new Mirrorless Eos r pro in the works. Should I wait for it or should I just buy the Eos R?

If you are at all inclined to buy the EOS R, I would say wait for a few more months. According to a Canon source at a usually reliable rumor site, Canon is poised to drop the price of the EOS R to $1499 by the end of September. That's $300 less than it is today. We shall see. 

Announcements