cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping on a budget for starter Rebel- help!

Sher_2018
Apprentice

I have been shopping for a Rebel T4i or T5i

im getting back into my photography and have researched and watched all kinds of comparison YouTube’s-

i am looking for the articulated lcd screen for touch screen capabilities for AF, don’t like the porting system on T6i - I’m a beginner to DSLR so I figured the T4i was a good start for my budget. I’ll be shooting people, animals and landscape. Video clips and also need frame by frame for my horse shooting. Ugh- my brain is fried from searching. Anyone have any suggestions? 

WIFI connect to smartphone is a pref but not required. 

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What do you mean by "porting system"? I really like my T6S. If video is your thing than you might want to stretch to the T7i since it has the best focus-during-video.

As long as 60 FPS is OK, they all can do frame by frame.

By porting system I mean where the charging, hdmi cable ports are located on the camera 

we are really just looking for somewhat of a starter and not go off the charts for new t6 or t7 

@Sher_2018 wrote:

By porting system I mean where the charging, hdmi cable ports are located on the camera 

we are really just looking for somewhat of a starter and not go off the charts for new t6 or t7 

There are no “charging” ports on any Canon DSLR. If all you really want is a “starter” camera, then I suggest that you revise your features and performance expectations downward..

[EDIT] Video performance is not a hallmark of Rebel camera bodies, particularly older and entry level models.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Not sure what you mean by “porting system”, nor “frame by frame”, but it sounds like you need a significantly larger budget than a used T4i, or T5i.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If what you primarily want is a way to record video, then you'd be better off shopping for a video camera.  

A DSLR camera is primarily a photographic (still) camera that happens to have some capabilities to do video ... but not quite as well as a true video camera.

Higher end models support Dual-Pixel CMOS AF (auto-focus) which allows fairly good/accurate and smooth focus tracking of subjects while shooting video.  But in the Rebel line, only the new T7i has that feature (though some other Rebels have earlier generations of that technology that aren't quite as good).  

But the T7i is the most recent of the Rebel line and as such it will be the most expensive Rebel.  This may not fit your budget needs.  You can shop the Canon online store which has a refurbished section to see what deals they might have.

Canon introduces a new Rebel nearly every year.  Each model is usually an interation on the previous model ... a few tweaks but usually nothing really significant.  The T7i, however, is probably the biggest jump w.r.t. improvements.  It's significantly better than it's previous generation and has a much better sensor, much better focus system (many more AF points and also it's the first Rebel body to finally get true Dual-Pixel CMOS AF), etc. as it's starting to get standard features that were previously only available in mid-range or higher-end models.

The ports are always on the left side of the camera for virtually every Canon DSLR I have ever used.  The memory card door is on the right.  So I'm not sure what you did not like about the T6i's ports ... because they look almost identical to the T5i's ports and the T7i's ports.  The T6 (note this is _not_ the same as a T6i) is meant to be a much more economical model and lacks many features of it's bigger siblings.  Whereas a T6i has a USB port & HDMI port under one dust cover, and a remote shutter-release port and mic-input port under another dust cover, the T6 lacks a mic-input port and puts the remaining three ports under just one dust cover.  If you plan to do a lot of video, you'll probably want a mic-input port because this allows you to connect a much better audio mic ... such as a Rode VideoMic.

The articulated LCD is primarily an advantage for video.  There are a few occasions where it's handy for still photography ... but most still photos are shot via putting the camera to your face and looking through the viewfinder (this method is strongly encouraged because the camera has a much faster focusing system it can use in this mode; it's a more stable way to hold the camera (less camera shake is likely); and more responsive.)

Naturally there's a reason these higher end models cost more... you'll need to balance your needs with your budget.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Ugh- my brain is fried from searching. Anyone have any suggestions?"

Probably is, and not helped too much here so far.  Question #1, just what is your budget?  Secondly, you know finding the cheapest low priced cameras may be the most expensive one you will ever buy.

The T4i was pulled off the market almost before it got on the market.  Reason, who knows.  Some say the leatherette covering was faulty?  I would not go more than $200 on one, well I wouldn't buy one at all, l but don't you go over $200.

That leaves the T5i.  It is a pretty good Rebel.  With any used Rebel purchase it is good to know something about its history.  Rebels aren't built like battle tanks.  They can be damaged easily if not reasonable care is used. In other words know what you are buying first.

Not knowing your budget, how long would it be before you could increase it, maybe double it?  That would open up a lot of possibilities.  You know you will need lenses for this jewel?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well, I ordered a new T6 model. I weighed my options and really didn’t want problems or someone else’s problems by blindly buying a used camera. I was thinking about the articulating screen but the thought hard about what I plan to do with the camera and decided to not get the i.  Pretty excited to get the T6 and get into it.  

Penny wise and pound foolish. 

A good old expression.  I think you made the right choice.  Good luck with it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Sher_2018 wrote:

Well, I ordered a new T6 model. I weighed my options and really didn’t want problems or someone else’s problems by blindly buying a used camera. I was thinking about the articulating screen but the thought hard about what I plan to do with the camera and decided to not get the i.  Pretty excited to get the T6 and get into it.  

Nothing wrong with that choice. By the time you outgrow the camera, you'll have a much clearer idea of where you're going in photography and how you propose to get there. And the T6 will be a very suitable backup camera for your 7D Mk III.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements