cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting speed slows down in manual mode.

MugCostanza
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that on continous shooting, manual shoots at only half the speed of sports mode on my 1100d (Rebel T3). I've turned off all the processing features such as high iso noise correction and lighting optimizer etc.  I cant find anything in the manual about it either so im just wondering wether it is possible to acheive full shooting speed in manual or wether thats just a feature of the camera.

EDIT: I'm also shooting in jpeg and changing the quality doesnt help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

When you are in manual, are you using all of the same focusing points, and focusing mode, as "sports" mode?  I'm fairly certain tha tthe T3 uses all of the focus points when you put it into any of the "basic" modes, which should include "sports" mode.  Also, I'm certain that the "sports" mode is not using the "One Shot Focus"

If you are using only the center focus point, then your camera could be bit slower to lock focus, compared to when it makes use of all of the focus points.  Take a picture in "sports" mode, and the playback the shot with all of the shooting information displayed, making note of the focus mode setting and the focus points setting.  Carefully compare the sports mode settings to what you have set when you use manual mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

When you are in manual, are you using all of the same focusing points, and focusing mode, as "sports" mode?  I'm fairly certain tha tthe T3 uses all of the focus points when you put it into any of the "basic" modes, which should include "sports" mode.  Also, I'm certain that the "sports" mode is not using the "One Shot Focus"

If you are using only the center focus point, then your camera could be bit slower to lock focus, compared to when it makes use of all of the focus points.  Take a picture in "sports" mode, and the playback the shot with all of the shooting information displayed, making note of the focus mode setting and the focus points setting.  Carefully compare the sports mode settings to what you have set when you use manual mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

EDIT: It turns out it was the long exposure noise correction. I assumed this feature would only activate on a long exposure but it turns out it slows down short exposures aswell. 

Thanks guys

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  im just wondering wether it is possible to acheive full shooting speed in manual ..."

This depends on what SS you selected.  Obiviously if your SS is 1/2 sec you are not going to get 5 fps fo rinstance.  So what SS are you using?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements