cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settings for great sunrise pictures

RLL39
Contributor
Just purchased a canon rebel t6 kit and want to take some sunrise pictures while hiking in my area. I live in Phoenix, AZ. Not a lot of clouds. What advice do you have for getting the most out of my photographs. Settings, filters or lenses?
6 REPLIES 6

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@RLL39 wrote:
Just purchased a canon rebel t6 kit and want to take some sunrise pictures while hiking in my area. I live in Phoenix, AZ. Not a lot of clouds. What advice do you have for getting the most out of my photographs. Settings, filters or lenses?

Canon Explorer of Light, Rick Sammon has a good post on that.

34 Sunrise & Sunset Photo Tips - all in one post!

ricksammon.JPG

@TTMartin wrote:

@RLL39 wrote:

Canon Explorer of Light, Rick Sammon has a good post on that.

34 Sunrise & Sunset Photo Tips - all in one post!

ricksammon.JPG

LOL.  There is a series of photos posted at your link.  I was at #26 just last week.

IMG_6767.jpg

I couldn't get the angle of the shot in the photo, because of construction fencing and a large tree.  I was either too close, or my view was blocked by the tree. 

IMG_6771.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

RLL39
Contributor
Thanks!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you kidding? There are always a lot of clouds at sunset in the summer monsoon season. Great thunderstorms, too.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Are you kidding? There are always a lot of clouds at sunset in the summer monsoon season. Great thunderstorms, too.

I love taking pictures of storm clouds, most especially when the front is just moving in/out of the area.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos101_cll.shtml

There are no one set of exposure settings that will work for all photography scenarios.  Please note that the above link is the entry point to an entire set of videos that teach the basics of photography, and the "exposure triangle."

Try to shoot with a low an ISO setting as is practical.  High ISO settings introduce noise, and reduce sharpness.  These photos were shot in bright sunshine, but with a storm front on the distant western horizon.   Exposure is 1/1000,f/4,ISO-100

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"What advice do you have for getting the most out of my photographs. Settings, filters or lenses?"

Settings...........

There is really only one solution to taking a good sunset photo.  It is bracketing.  Nobody can tell you the settings to use. They have not seen what you are shooting.  When you bracket, you find a setting that seems to work.  Maybe just what the camera says is correct.  That's fine but now you shoot a few stops above and a few stops below that setting.  Maybe six or eight shots quickly.  This is called AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing). Your T6i can bracket automatically.

Filters.............

They are virtually obsolete.  Get up close and personal with a good post editor.  Photoshop Elements is a good one if not the best one.

Lenses...........

If you got any of the kit lenses with your T6i, you have what you need. If you did not, get this one Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

These shots were done with bracketing to get the best look and feel of the scene.  You might get lucky with one shot but why chance it?

10988322_908133299222098_5380901606200186828_o.jpg11866442_883158775052884_6692617555641481764_n.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements