cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set audio input level manually on t5i

ChrisFitzgerald
Apprentice

First post here. I've just started workig with my new t5i, which I'm using to work on my ongoing video tutorial series. In the manual I see how it is possible to set the audio input level maually for an external mic but I can't figure out how to navigate to the menu that allows me to do this. I have pored over the user manual a number of times and can't find this information. Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Same camera in different shooting modes. The menus I described would be for shooting video in "P, Tv, Av, or M". Anything else will give you a smaller menu selection like you have already seen.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

PLee
Enthusiast
  1. Turn your camera on in VIDEO MODE.
  2. Hit the MENU button.
  3. Navigate to the fifth RED TAB to the right, or last RED tab on the right.
  4. Navigate down to the second row menu item SOUND RECORDING.
  5. Hit SET.
  6. Press SET again on the top menu item, SOUND REC.
  7. Navigate to MANUAL here and press SET again.
  8. Navigate one row down to RED LEVEL and press SET.
  9. Use RIGHT and LEFT directional arrows to adjust manual audio levels.

Note that you can use the touch screen at any point to substitute for pressing SET and navigating the menu structure as described above.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 🙂 On my camera, when in video mode (the one after "on" on the main body of the camera, then with the exposure set to "automatic"), when I hit the menu button I get a screen that shows 8 little icons along the top. Scrolling through them, the first three are red, the next two are blue, and the last three are yellow. When I get to "sound recording", it's in the third red menu, and the only options are "On and "Off". Is it possible this is a different version of the same camera?

Same camera in different shooting modes. The menus I described would be for shooting video in "P, Tv, Av, or M". Anything else will give you a smaller menu selection like you have already seen.

Thanks! Will try that out. I am shooting videos in which I am seated in front of the camera in a room with decent lighting, so i have to turn on the camera, take a seat, and do musical demonstrations. Which one of these modes would likely be best suited for that type of purpose?

No reason that M (manual) wouldn't work for you in that situation.

I would suggest the following settings:

Shutter = 1/60s (assuming you're shooting 30p video)

Aperture = Something from f/5.6 and f/8 (assuming solo instrument)

ISO = Whatever you need to get the right exposure for that venue.

As long as the lighting remains consistent throughout, this will do. Remember the maximum record time of 29:59.

Thanks again for all the help. I didn't use Manual mode because i thought the auto focus wouldn't work on that setting, and since i can't b at the camera focusing and sitting being the object focused upon, that didn't seem to be an option. Sorry for being so ignorant in this field, but I'm really a musician. I will try to learn more about the camera before shooting the next video.

I was referring to manual shooting mode and not manual focus. Your camera will autofocus during video in M shooting mode. Just make sure that the subject is in the center of the frame.

Thank you PLee, this also helped me a lot! This solution worked perfectly! 

VictoriaLehr
Apprentice

Can anyone help with my manual audio problems now?

I came across this thread, as I just received my Rode Videomic GO. I couldn't figure out how to get it to work, so I was searching on Google(obviously).

Well, I did EVERYTHING as stated in the first answer at the beginning of this thread,  and my mic is STILL NOT picking up any sound.
The only sound I am getting, is this weird noise because the camera is plugged in (it doesn't do it when it's not plugged in, using the camera internal mic).

I'm hoping I didn't get a faulty mic (I did buy it refurbished). But I'm hoping I'm just missing doing something here to get it to work, pick up sound and stop making the weird sound it makes!

Announcements