cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious birder ready to upgrade from T2i.

BigOly
Apprentice

I've been using a T2i for years and it's time for an upgrade.  I shoot birds, still and in motion with 100X400 lense I'm happy with.  No need for video.  Want faster "rapid-fire" option.  Lighting and subject distance varies.  Lighter weight a plus as I travel the world.  I do crop a lot.  What Canon camera should I be looking for?

4 REPLIES 4

Skirball
Authority

The 7d Mark II, hands down.  It was designed, in part, with birders in mind.  If that's out of your budget, probably the original 7D,  though that is arguable for a couple reasons.

Edit: just noticed you mentioned "lightness" as a plus.  If that's a big factor then you have to make compromises, and it turns into a much bigger discussion of various options.  THe 7D series is not light, not by a long shot.  It's very fast (10 fps), and has a terrific autofocus system.  But if it's too big and heavy I'd actually recommend the other end of the spectrum - the new T6i Rebel.  Autofocus and speed is going to suffer tremendously, but that doesn't mean you can't capture Birds in Flight (BIF) with it.  It's going to be smaller and lighter than any other option, it has the latest sensor technology, and has more pixels than all the others - better for cropping.  Yes, you're going to miss some shots that the 7d2 would get, but it's still capable in the right hands.

Other people would argue for full frame cameras.  Shooting wildlife is often at dawn/dusk, and you need a fast shutter speed to freeze the action, so the better low light performance is helpful in producing acceptable quality images.  This comes at the sacrifice of a wider field of view, and BIF photographers almost always crop.  THe only light full frame is the 6D, which has a very simple AF system.  It's designed for studio/portraiture/landscape type work, but I know several people that love it for wildlife for the reasons mentioned above.  A camera like the 5d3 is going to be far more suited to the task, but again, it's not small and light.

Agree with Skirball. I will point out the new upcoming T6i and the slightly nicer T6s will have the same AF as the classic 7d had. Just slightly fewer frames per second and no weatherproofing. If lightness is key.

On the other hand the 100-400 is not super light so perhaps the difference in the weight of the total package is not all that much either way?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Almost any camera made today will be better than your T2i. So that really isn't a tough question but I noticed you said....

"I shoot birds, still and in motion with 100X400 lense I'm happy with."

I realize you did say you were "happy with" it but you also said.....

"I do crop a lot."  

Hmmm, well maybe you would be happier with the Tamron 150-600mm lens on a new Rebel T6i?  You didn't say your budget but you did say .....

"Serious birder ready to upgrade ....."

I have shot this lens, for about a year now, along with my EF 100-400mm and results are very simular. Except you are getting 600mm instead of 400mm.

It may be you need to"upgrade" more than just the camera.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I wonder how this will compare to the upcoming Sigma 150-600's. They will be releasing two versions; one expensive "Sport" version and one less expensive "Contemporary" version.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements