cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seem to have new, specific T5i autofocus problem multiple lenses

KI2K
Contributor
My T5i is about 6 months old, also have good T3 body to help in my troubleshooting. T5i will no longer lock focus on like flying airplanes or birds in any lighting and with fresh battery- it just hunts, stays busy, or focuses as blur in all modes and with multiple lenses that all work fine on T3 body. Still subjects are no issue, crisp focus.

It feels like the t5i body has some new and suddenly onset issue, but I'd love to hear any other ideas to try based on the symptom before I engage Canon for repair.

If it does need to go back, does this sound like a calibration issue? I'm assuming warranty would cover it, but curious why it would just develop this sort of issue. Also curious about typical turnaround time if it does have to go back.

Thanks for any input and advice.
10 REPLIES 10

Mykolas
Authority

Hi KI2K!

Thank you for posting.

Moving subjects always add a bit more difficulty to shooting, but you can adjust the focusing mode to help.  I recommend using the AI Servo focusing mode.  AI Servo AF is suited for moving subjects where the distance between you and the subject is constantly changing.  As you hold down the shutter button, the camera will track the subject and update focus continuously.  Simply press the AF button, then select AI Servo.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks, Mike. But if you read the thread, I'm way past that point.

There are numerous things that can seemingly cause such a problem... many of which may not be "problems" at all.

The first thing I tend to do when a camera seems to be having focus issues is use controlled testing conditions to remote any environmental issues from the test.

This means you use a stationary test target (I use a commercial target but you can download and print a test target... such as this one:  http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart)  The camera needs to go on a tripod (don't care how steady you are... use a tripod.)  You'll need nice bright lighting conditons.  Select the center focus point (don't let the camera auto-select).  Adjust the tripod so that the center AF point is directly over the center of the focus chart.  Put the camera into "One Shot" mode.  Deliberately de-focus the lens (manually... and if you have a lens that doesn't not support continuous manual focus even in auto-focus modes (the lens isn't a "USM" or "STM" type lens) then disengage the auto-focus, de-focus the lens, re-engage auto-focus... then take the shot.  Repeat this multiple times (never use just "one" shot as an evaluation of performance.)

This will help determine if the phase-detect AF system is working on your camera in ideal controlled test conditions.   You can try selecting different AF points.

You can also switch the camera to "live view" mode to do testing.  Live view uses a COMPLETELY different focus system (the phase-detect AF points are not used at all.)

If it does perform correctly... you can "up the ante" by testing in different circumstnaces.

Birds in flight are particularly difficult.  You'd need to use "AI Servo", pick a controlled AF point (e.g. for example, the center point), pan to track the path of the bird, and put the camera into continuous burst mode as you shoot.  The AF point needs to be on the subject (not just close).  The camera cannot focus on a blue sky background (there's no contrast with which it can use to evaluate focus.)

The "keeper" rate is going to be lower when shooting these more-challenging subjects.  Make sure you have realistic expectations.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you using just the center focus point?  Turn all the others off.  You just want the center one for BIF.  And of course AI-Servo mode.  Also, use Position 2, if possible, on your lens or turn IS off and try.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

All good tips, and I went through the gamut. As I explained, camera body now at Canon.

Alrighty... Got my T5i back from repair and she's in shipshape again. Thanks for all of the input to my quandry, I have a couple of things to consider if it ever happens again. They did find some unnamed part dislodged, and now I'm back to the way I knew this camera to behave. I love my T5i!

dbassist
Apprentice

I've experienced the same thing! I've used different lenses. But it does not focus in the viewfinder. I'm not getting the green boxes that shows the camera is in focus when taking pictures. The video seems to be doing okay.  I don't know if my picture is in focus or not. I've read the manual, but nothing has changed. Maybe this camera should be recalled until they fix this problem. I really like the camera, but that's a lot of money for something not to do what it was designed to do!

dbassist,

When you press the shutter button down halfway, does the camera at least try to focus the lens?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

No it doesn't attempt to focus at all. Pressing the shutter 1/2 way, changing lenses, it won't attempt or even focus!

I've had my camera for about 2 - 3 months. I've been reading posts of different things to try but nothing works. I have an big event coming up this weekend that I really wanted to use it for. So any help you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Announcements