cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advices for using non-Canon vintage lenses on T6s.

Dianoban
Enthusiast

I have many vintage primes of 4 brands.  I would like to have some of them, 85mm f1.4 & 90mm f2.8 micro, mounted on T6s.

It was said ten years ago that it was impossible for such combinations because of the mirror.  How about it today?   Anyone has successful experiences? 

Thank you.

Dianoban

14 REPLIES 14

William_27
Apprentice

Old film SLR lenses change a little when you put them on most digital SLRs. They actually zoom in a bit further, as digital SLRs only see the center-half of the picture. This is rarely a problem for long zoom lenses, as they will zoom even further on a digital SLR.

NomNom Dog Food

@William_27 wrote:

Old film SLR lenses change a little when you put them on most digital SLRs. They actually zoom in a bit further, as digital SLRs only see the center-half of the picture. This is rarely a problem for long zoom lenses, as they will zoom even further on a digital SLR.

Not quite. You are confusing Crop Frame and Full Frame DSLR's. An older EOS lens from the film days will have the exact same field of view on a full frame DSLR as it did with 35mm film.

For the OP, If you can get the adapters to put them on, you might lose infinity focus, but it will still work.

@kvbarkley wrote:

@William_27 wrote:

Not quite. You are confusing Crop Frame and Full Frame DSLR's. An older EOS lens from the film days will have the exact same field of view on a full frame DSLR as it did with 35mm film.

For the OP, If you can get the adapters to put them on, you might lose infinity focus, but it will still work.

Thank you.

Yes, I can buy adapters but I can not be sure whether the combination will cause any trouble, namely, old lenses interfer with the flipping movement in the T6s.  This was said years ago.  Do you whether this is still the case?

Appreciate.

Dianoban

"I can not be sure whether the combination will cause any trouble, ..."

Of course I can not know every single combination there is available but I don't know of any adapters on old lenses that cause any interference. It is possible to do some "surgery" (not going to tell you how though) on ef-s lenses so they will mount on a ef camera and that can cause some issues.

Like I said above I have tried about every adapter there is and I never had any real trouble except like I mentioned the results are not very good. Actually pretty poor but our standards may be different. The best adapter by far is the ones made by Ed Mika. I don't know if he is still making them but they work and they do a good job. As good as can be expected anyway. Keep in mind most of the available adapters are of poor optical quality and mostly they are the problem. Not the old lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@William_27 wrote:

Yes.  There is some change.  And I am thanking that the change is to my benefit.  Example, I have a lens 1:1.2 f=55mm, it will become 88mm on T6s, just right for shooting portraits.

Thank you for trying to help.

Dianoban

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"For the OP, If you can get the adapters to put them on, ... but it will still work.

I agree and it can be fun Smiley Happy but it is not worth doing for any real application.  Current digital lenses are so much better, even the least expensive ones. I've tried converting or adapting about everything that can be adapted. So ,I certainly can't say don't do it but don't expect much from it.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"For the OP, If you can get the adapters to put them on, ... but it will still work.

I agree and it can be fun Smiley Happy but it is not worth doing for any real application.  Current digital lenses are so much better, even the least expensive ones. I've tried converting or adapting about everything that can be adapted. So ,I certainly can't say don't do it but don't expect much from it.

Thank you.

I totally agree with you that old lenses do not deliver as good image quality as the new lenses do.  But  1). just for the fun & 2). my interest of photography is for fun, not demanding for quality as long as the images are "acceptable" since I am not any professional.  I use many vintage lenses on my Sony a7ii.  Shooting manual.  Somehow I feel like shooting film.

Appreciate your good advice.

Dianoban

" 1). just for the fun & 2). my interest of photography is for fun,..."

I say go for it.Smiley Very Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" 1). just for the fun & 2). my interest of photography is for fun,..."

I say go for it.Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for the encouragement..

I am not going for it.  

The reason I want to mount an 85mm f1.4 lenx & a 55mm f1.2 lense on my T6s is that I want to use these lenses for shooting portraits.  This is a two-fold need: Presice focus & fast focus.

There are many adapters with electronic contacting points that can provide "in focus" signal, but the so called in focus is a loose range of acceptable sharpness.  Yes, there is a sharp point within the range, but one can not alway get it. 

I use the 85mm f1.4 & 55mm f1.2 lenses on Sony a7ii. Focus by peaking. If the peaking is set at Medium,  The result of focusing is some sharp & some soft an very soft, and the soft ones are more than the sharp ones.  If, for better sharpness, the peaking is set at Low, nine out of ten times it is hard even impossible to focus.

With this experience, I assume it is the same way with the adapters.

Thank you.

Dianoban

Announcements