cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen not turning on, help!

Gvtv44
Apprentice
Hi All,

I recently purchased a rebel T2i at a yard sale. I just have the body, battery, and charger at this point. I charged the batter all the way, and the camera appears to power up (flash goes off, shutter clicks, lights up green in the viewfinder). However, I can not get the display to turn on! I've tried pressing disp, holding disp, and the other camera view looking button to the right of the viewfinder. I do not currently own any lenses, so no lens is mounted on the camera- could this by why the display won't turn on? I even put a memory card in and was able to take 8 pictures (just blurry colors). If not from lacking a lens, what could be the source of this problem? I've googled around quite a bit, and nothing seemed to help.

Thanks for all of your help!
5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The menu screen comes on?  You can change items?

You really need a lens and a manual.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The menu screen comes on?  You can change items?

You really need a lens and a manual.  Smiley Happy

And the manual is readily available on Canon's Web site. (So are lenses, but the manual is free.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You say you took 8 pictures.  Where did you review these images after taking them?  Did you look at them on the LCD screen or did you have to import them into the computer to look at them?

We are trying to determine if your LCD panel works at all but simply doesn't display what you want... vs. the LCD not even working.  The difference in those two are completely different.

It is possible to put the display into a mode where it does not show anything (just a black screen) -- no shooting information, no image review, etc.   

BUT... If you press the "Menu" button on the camera, then the menu should appear on the rear LCD screen and this should work even if the display was otherwise set to remain dark.

If the menu button doesn't wake up the display and show a menu, then the camera needs service.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi all,

Yes, I do need to crack open the manual! I viewed the 8 pictures on my computer, not the camera. Yes, even pressing menu does not show anything on the screen, it just remains dark. 

So it sounds like it needs to be repaired? I just wasn't sure if this was a function due to no lens being connected. Any idea on the cost of that kind of repair? Is it something I could do myself?

Thanks!

Very likely more than the camera is worth.  Get an estimate first!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements