cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL3 video "jumps" during recording and during playback

mroe21877
Apprentice

noticed an issue yesterday while recording video - after a short recording time the screen shows a jump or stutter, almost like the camera is being bumped, which then occurs every few seconds.  I could feel something in the camera as well while this was happening.  it is also evident in the playback.  it has made videos worthless. The resulting video clearly shows the movement.  It looks like the image is shifting 10-20 pixels and then returning, but very quickly, which makes it look like it is twitching.

it is not due to lens focusing.  I thought the lens was jumping first but I held and watched the focus ring.  it is not lens movement causing it.  I could also feel a slight bump in my hand from the camera body, alhtough I dont know what mechanism inside the camera would do this.  It really felt like mechanical movement. 

I tried turning off stabilization in the body as well.  that did nothing.

The lens is a brand new Sigma 17-70 Art. 

I switched batteries to a fully charged one and it still happened. 

any ideas?

thanks

Mike

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try a different lens.  You might also try turning off the OS, Optical Stabilization, most especially if you are using a tripod.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It certainly seems to be Sigma's OS.  It is now consistent.  Once it starts it will not stop, despite the camera being immobile, until i stop recording or turn off OS.  This is a real issue as most of my video taking is of travel and kids.  I cant simply put this on a tripod for everyday use.

@mroe21877 wrote:

It certainly seems to be Sigma's OS.  It is now consistent.  Once it starts it will not stop, despite the camera being immobile, until i stop recording or turn off OS.  This is a real issue as most of my video taking is of travel and kids.  I cant simply put this on a tripod for everyday use.

Are you also using Movie Servo AF in the camera with OS in the lens at the same time?  It sounds to me like they are getting into a tug of war.  That would be the "clunk" you hear and feel in the lens.  You need to use one or the other, but not both at the same time.  

Your camera has Movie Digital IS.  I would use the Movie Digital IS because turning of OS seems to have cured the problem.  There is no need to use both camera and lens stabilization at the same time.  They are not aware of one another.

There is no real issue.  There is nothing to see here.  You just need to become a little more familiar with how your gear works.

mroe21877
Apprentice
Let me preface that this is my toss in the car for a day out camera. I just got tired of carrying full frame; I've been known to carry a Pentax 6x7 to a birthday party, so I'm not lost in the woods with "gear."

This SL3 is apparently aware of the lens OS because I get a warning icon during video recording when it is switched off. However, even if that is true, no other stabilized lens I have does it. Up to yesterday, half way through the day, the Sigma also did not do it. So for the first 4-5 overall hours of recording there was no issue. Plus, this still occurs with the in body IS turned off.

Another also, once it starts it happens consistently every three seconds, even if I cover the lens and let it record blackness. Click, click, click ,click

@mroe21877 wrote:
Let me preface that this is my toss in the car for a day out camera. I just got tired of carrying full frame; I've been known to carry a Pentax 6x7 to a birthday party, so I'm not lost in the woods with "gear."

This SL3 is apparently aware of the lens OS because I get a warning icon during video recording when it is switched off. However, even if that is true, no other stabilized lens I have does it. Up to yesterday, half way through the day, the Sigma also did not do it. So for the first 4-5 overall hours of recording there was no issue. Plus, this still occurs with the in body IS turned off.

Another also, once it starts it happens consistently every three seconds, even if I cover the lens and let it record blackness. Click, click, click ,click

Obviously, the problem is the SIGMA lens, not the CANON body.  If a third party product does not work properly with a Canon product, guess whose problem that is?  It is neither Canon's problem, nor fault.

I used to have a Sigma 150-500mm, which was unstable when the OS turned on.  It also needed AFMA adjustments.  I sold it, and bought the newer Sigma 150-600mm.  The newer Sigma had the same unstable OS problem.  When I used the lens, which was pretty seldom, I would use it on a tripod/monopod with OS turned off.  

The only reason I kept the lens is because owners could update the lens performance with the Sigma Dock.  Owners could also update the lens firmware using the dock.  I was able to micro-adjust the focus, but the Sigma OS was still unstable.

Sigma eventually released a firmware update, which completely rewrote the AF algorithms, to their 150-600s.  Suddenly, I had a completely different lens, which worked as advertised.  I could use OS without a tug of war with the AI Servo in the camera.

Sigma may or may not have a firmware update for the lens.  If they do, it would likely mean shipping the lens to the factory.  This would be a tremendous expense for Sigma.  Making a firmware update available for download is a lot cheaper.  But check to see if Sigma has a firmware update for the lens.

jberg44
Contributor

I’m a little late, but did you ever find a fix for this? I found myself with the same issue recently and I have no idea what is causing it. 

I’m using the 1D X Mk III with the 70-200 2.8 IS III, and it has never happened in the last year of shooting the same way. 

Yeah I sold the sl3 and the lens separately.  I could never figure out the issue as I had other sigma lenses that did not cause it.  Video on the sl3 was fine with an ef-s lens.  Ended up selling the body as I was annoyed with the missing hot shoe pin.  5d mark II doesn't do it and I do a lot of video on sigma lenses with it.  

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements