cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL2 camera. Need long zoom

obj
Contributor

Was thinking of the Tamron 150-600 lens G2...Does anyone have it? Is it good?

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

See this previous thread for opinions.   https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Which-Tamron-SP-150-600-is-best/td-p/281580

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@obj wrote:

@cicopo thats a great thread for opinions on the Sigma or Tamron.  @obi, also note your FL wil be 240~960 equivlent with an APS-C body.  With either of these lenses, your starting FL will be "up close and personal" with quite a bit of reach. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have or had all the 150-600mm super zooms. Today the Tamron G2 is the best.  Tomorrow if Sigma come out with a newer version it might be best. Right now it is the Tamron G2.

You are going to have some serious FL with your SL2.  It will require you to learn the camera/lens combo and how best to use them. SS needs to be 1/1000 or higher most of the time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@obj wrote:

All of the 150-600mm lenses are beasts.  They are much heavier than most lenses used with the SL2.  The lenses are really targeted at mid-range and pro-grade camera bodies.  Those bodies typically have magnesium alloy chassis.  The SL2 has a polycarbonate chassis.

The body of your SL2 is not really designed for that type of weight on the lens mount, which doesn't mean you should not use the big lenses.  Just be aware that you should always support the lens directly.  Do not let it dangle from the lens mount, as this could damage the mounting flange on the camera body.  Use the tripod foot as a carrying handle.

You will also want to use some sort of support when using the lens for extended periods.  Use either a tripod or monopod.  Handholding the lenses for extended periods is very fatiguing.  I always use support with my 150-600mm.  It makes a huge difference on the sharpness of your photos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Is there a better lens by Canon I can use..but they cost a fortune. I like wildlife photography, not a pro. Do have 100-300 lens older one but looking for a good zoom for better closeups....Is the G2 better than the previous. I know its cheaper but as I get older trying to go cheap does not payoff...sometinmes

Perhaps you missed this;

"Today the Tamron G2 is the best.  Tomorrow if Sigma come out with a newer version it might be best. Right now it is the Tamron G2."

Don't believe the BS about the Tamron being too heavy.  Yes, it is a big lens and, yes, it is heavier than your kit lens. But It isn't anything the average person can't handle. I use the S version Sigma which is a very heavy lens on a 1DX, very heavy, and I handle it just fine.  Yeah, you are going to learn a different way of shooting.  It is a different set of instructions to master. If you can't, you need to choose a different hobby!

BTW, you should avoid holding any big lens by the camera, any camera. Always hold the lens and let the SL2 hang from it. Never the other way around. Sometimes common sense has to prevail.

"Is there a better lens by Canon I can use.."

Of course there is.  The ef 400mm f5.6L USM is a fantastic lens. A plus is it is very light and friendly for hand holding. Another favorite of mine is the ef 300mm f4L IS USM a long with the 1.4x tele con. ALso fairly light and fast handholding. Canon has a nice 100-400mm zoom but it is expensive and doesn't have 401mm to 600mm.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements