cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL2 battery image on LCD screen

obj
Contributor

I just got the SL2 3 days a ago and noticed the picture of the battery on the LCD screen looks half charged. Mind you camera has not been used much.. Found the real battery read out under menu says battery is fine, SO how come on the LCD screen it looks half charged??? Is that normal and how its supposed to look? Seems odd to me.. I charged the battery up a bit to see and the readout does not change on the LCD screen. Camera is brand new.

10 REPLIES 10

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I am not completely familiar with the SL2 but some of the Canon cameras have a separate menu item that shows battery health which is its ability to accept a full charge rather than the actual current state of charge.  So you may be seeing in the menu that your battery is healthy but the primary display screen is indicating that it has not been fully charged yet so the two pieces of information are likely both correct.

How long did you leave your camera on charge? If it is brand new it should be left for a full charge cycle initially to fully charge the battery.  There will be some self-discharge of the battery over time (a function of the battery chemistry and design, not due to camera draw) so even sitting without usage the battery charge level will slowly drop.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Its brand new , Battery charged until green light came on the charger..All done correctly noticed this and thought odd. Canon should address it, unless others do not notice.Have not used it much so far

obj
Contributor

I also feel both read outs should be accurate.. The one in Menu under battery looks fine... But one on LCD not...  Very misleading...

I looked at a PDF of the manual and it shows that the battery information menu item (from instruction manual P.380) should indicate both the current battery level and the state of battery health.  I would also expect the battery level display from the battery info screen should match the battery level display on the LCD.

I would pull the battery and charge it once more and if the discrepancy still exists then contact Canon to have the issue resolved.

Good luck.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you. I have contacted them...

well what they said was its fine. Meaning from what I can see is in the MENU setting the battery is all black with two white lines. Its full.. whereas on Lcd screen it all white with two black lines so its looks halfway. They should have somehow outlined the battery image in white and had white lines and have it black inside not white . Could be done .  who knows.

I would expect the information to be the same on both displays even if the color used differs so that the battery graphic would show either filled, half filled, etc. Post a photo of the two information displays if you could and that might also be helpful to Canon to be sure that they fully understand your question.

Below are quick cell phone shots of the battery info display from the rear color LCD and the top status display of my 1DX M2 both indicating a well charged battery (around 800 shots on the current charge).

RodgerLCD 1.jpgLCD 2.jpg

@objwrote:

well what they said was its fine. Meaning from what I can see is in the MENU setting the battery is all black with two white lines. Its full.. whereas on Lcd screen it all white with two black lines so its looks halfway. They should have somehow outlined the battery image in white and had white lines and have it black inside not white . Could be done .  who knows.

Who knows? The instruction manual knows. Have you had a chance to read it yet? Usually it shows you all the possible displays and indicates what each icon means.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I read everything..What canon said makes sense but you need to see what I mean...Its the picture that through me off I was expecting the same pic in manual and in menu to be on the LCD screen as well. The white backround on LCD of battery through me off....I read everything believe me. Have had cameras in the  past I read everything...   All is well

Announcements