cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL2 Power On/Off Switch

wchettel
Enthusiast

Several weeks ago I took a few pics with my SL2 but when I put it back in the bag I forgot to turn the power switch off. Last night I pulled it out to take a few more pics and I noticed that it was still turned ON, but the battery level indicator didn't seem to be any lower than it was when I used it the last time.

Is there any harm in leaving the power switch in the ON position when the SL2 is not being used for a lengthy period?

--
Walter
in Davie, FL
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I almost never turn my cameras off.  But I use them a lot.  Even the ones that sit on the shelf because they aren't the one being used doesn't get turned off. This has been my practice for years and years. Once the off timer has been exhausted the camera is essentially turned off.

The two sitting in front of me on the computer desk are both off but their on/off switch is in the on position.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

"... I think turning off a camera when you put it away is a good habit."

Must be why Canon still puts an on/off switch on their cameras.

"...it gets jostled around in a full camera bag."

Another 'old fashion" practice?  The last several years I have gotten away from a camera bag.  Well in the old fashion way of thinking anyway.  I rarely use a camera bag at all. Actually I never did unless it was a long distance travel assignment. I do have bags that holds the cameras and others that holds the lenses. Not together!  Professional lenses come in wonderful bags and do not really need another bag to store them in.  So that takes care of the lenses part.  My cameras on the other hand rarely sit for more than a few hours, at night mostly.

As we speak here this morning there are three cameras all with lenses attached sitting right here on the computer desk. All  ready to go.  Big shoot coming up this Saturday (for hire!Smiley Happy) but even a trip to MaDonald's can usually require some photos.  Especially if I run into folks I know.  Mostly freebies because that is what I do anymore.

BTW, all three cameras are off but their on/off switch is in the on position!

EB

"Opening the memory card door cuts the power so I don't see any point to turnoing off the switch."

I know and I agree the chance of a problem is small. Perhaps tiny.  But on this, I choose to error on the safe side and turn the camera off.  I take the extra step and also go slow so any, if any, static that could be left when pulling the CF card is drained. It is just my concern for CF card safety. I have not lost a picture to a bad or corrupted CF card.   I do not intend to have one now either. So I will keep doing the same routine.  I am super careful with menory cards.

Canon tries to make our cameras as fool proof as possible but "things" (not the choice word!) happens. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Opening the memory card door cuts the power so I don't see any point to turnoing off the switch."

I know and I agree the chance of a problem is small. Perhaps tiny.  But on this, I choose to error on the safe side and turn the camera off.  I take the extra step and also go slow so any, if any, static that could be left when pulling the CF card is drained. It is just my concern for CF card safety. I have not lost a picture to a bad or corrupted CF card.   I do not intend to have one now either. So I will keep doing the same routine.  I am super careful with menory cards.

Canon tries to make our cameras as fool proof as possible but "things" (not the choice word!) happens. Smiley Happy

My SL2 uses an SDHC or SDXC memory card. But still, I'm sure to turn the power off when I remove the card or switch lenses.

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

@wchettel wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

My SL2 uses an SDHC or SDXC memory card. But still, I'm sure to turn the power off when I remove the card or switch lenses.

My advice to anyone new to DSLRs is to turn off the camera when not in use, until you learn all of the ins and outs of the camera body.  Follow the instruction manual and turn off the camera when changing lenses and memory cards, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements