cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL2 Image Resolution (PPI)

wchettel
Enthusiast

I have an EOS Rebel SL2 and the Image Quality is set to ImageQuality.jpgThe saved images are 6000 px X 4000 px, but are only 72 PPI and HUGE in inches (83.33 inches x 55.56 inches).

Is there a setting that will let me save images at 300 PPI with a smaller size in inches?

Thanks,

--
Walter
in Davie, FL
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Cameras do not have DPI.  Neither do monitors. Printers are the only device that makes use of DPI. DPI is dots (as in ink)-per-inch.

You can not shoot at 300 DPI or any DPI number.  Pixels is all you have. There are no inches, so there can not be DPI.  Image size is dimensioned in pixels. You can assign any DPI number you want in post which controls the inch size it will print on paper. Inches are on paper. There are no inches in the camera. The max image size for the SL2 is 6,000 x 4,000 pixels.  It will always be 6,000 x 4,000.

If you are getting confused in post editing about changing DPI, do the changing of DPI and do it without resizing or resampling. You want to change the DPI while retaining the original pixel dimensions (the real digital resolution) of the photo.

OK, but note that any discussion of DPI is arguably a red herring in this thread. The OP's question referred only to PPI.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Which is exactly why I said "nope", but the can of worms got opened anyway.

"...nope, but the can of worms got opened anyway."

Probably the best answer. Smiley Happy

I think a lot of the blame for this confusion is on the manufacturers and software companies. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements