cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL1 raw images look have more of green hue than T3i raw images? Why?

ambrosecornflow
Contributor

Hi,  I've had (and loved) an EOS rebel t3i for over a year now.   I use it for product photography.    I purchased a second canon, an SL1 model, to make workflow go a bit faster.    I shoot exclusively in RAW.

However, when I load the RAW images in Digital Photo Professional (DPP), its very clear that the SL1 raw images have a much more green hue than the T3i images (which look more red), even though they have the same white balance and color temperature settings.   I tried taking the same shot, with the same camera settings and I even swapped lenses and the problem remains.  

Is it possible that something is wrong / off with the CCD?  or something else?   It just seems weird to me that raw images from two different canon dslrs can look so different

22 REPLIES 22

Wait a minute I will d/l it and look.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Here they are side by side.  Converter by ACR9.  Standard settings applied.

007.jpg

009.jpg

What do you think?  Look pretty similar to me.

EB

BTW, 007 is on the top and 009 is on the bottom.

EB

okay, its gotta be dpp then.  

i still notice a slight difference but its not nearly as severe as it is in DPP.    

very interesting.   but at least, i know there is a way fix it

I did nothing special to your photos.  I just had ACR set to 'auto'.

As many of the 'regulars' around here already know, I am not a big fan of either version of DPP.  I greatly prefer ACR as does 95%+ of the photogrphic industry.

Camera companies do not generally reveral how their stuff works.  So all raw converters handle raw files differently.  Pick the one you like and go with it.

EB

I can see the difference between the two pictures in DPP3/DPP4, RawTherapee (download and use the arrows on the keyboard) and Darktable. If I use auto settings in RawTherapee and Darktable the WB looks similar. I don't use latest DPP3 because I have DPP++ as a plugin, so I don't know if DPP3 can read your 100D too. I used DPP3 for your 600D and DPP4 for your 100D.

Is this a problem? Not really. If you use DPP that can read the settings from your camera you can use WB shift. It looks like this from my 6D.

VRAM0.jpg

You can do the same in DPP.

If you in the future will use another software, the auto WB may be a good start.

RawTherapee: 007

007.jpg

RawTherapee: 009

009.jpg

Darktable: 007

007.jpg

Darktable: 009

009.jpg

Okay, It's good to see that my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. 

I'm playing with RawTherapee and it seems pretty cool.  You can do alot of stuff. 

I just have to figure out how to apply all this stuff it batches, so the color profiles match across cameras

I have a feeling that's going to take a looooong time

Switch to Lightroom.  I did nothing to your two images and they were nearly the same.  Plain and simple there is nothing to really compete with Adobe  (ACR9).  That is why it is the industry standard.  The other software is open source and therefor has many contributors that have different opinions.

EB

Check out the RawTherapee forum for tutorials and help.You can copy Adobe´s profiles from Adobe DNG Converter.

I prefer Darktable because it is faster and because I can use masks. For example I could use the mask to get back the bright moon in this dual ISO picture. Darktable is not for Windows, so I had to change from Windows to Ubuntu 😉

I know you can do some pretty cool stuff with Raw Therapee and Darktable.  I have used both and I have Raw Therapee on my computer right now.

Lightroom can use masks as well.  Actually version 6, newest d/l, has quite a few improved features.  Add to the fact if you go to any professional photographic company, they will have LR and PS.  Few to none will have Raw Therapee or Darktable.

"I prefer Darktable because it is faster ...", than what?  Lightroom?  Really? I did not notice that but I do not have the latest version nor am I likely to get it.  I will have to take your judgement on that point.

EB
Announcements