cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL1 Shorter lense options?

glh222
Apprentice

Hi All-

Quick question, does anyone know of any shorter lense options for the SL1 aside from the standard it comes with? I was hoping to use this as a travel camera and although its definately small and light, the lense is still too big. Any ideas? Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

Skirball
Authority

40mm STM is about as small as it gets.  50mm /1.8 is small in my opinion, but probably twice the size of the 40.

The standard lense that came with the camera is 58mm, no? Is the 40mm lense more compact?

I found this lense on Canon's website, do you know if it will fit on this camera? Do you think this is a good option?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_m_22mm_f_2_stm

That's is EF-M lens for the EOS-M camera. Like Skirball said, the 40mm pancake probably is the smallest one you can get now for the SL1.
Here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_40mm_f_2_8_stm

Note that this lens is 40mm so it's not wide enough to use for small indoor location or tight places (quite common for travel photography).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

The lens comes with your camera probably is the 18-55mm. 58mm is the FILTER SIZE.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

@glh222 wrote:

The standard lense that came with the camera is 58mm, no? Is the 40mm lense more compact?

No, that's the diameter of the lens case, it tells you what size filter you can put on it (those threads on the end).  The lens is probably a 18-55.  The 40 is just 40, meaning it doesn’t zoom, which is why it’s smaller.  It’s called a prime lens.

Honestly, the 18-55 (if that’s what you got) is pretty small for a SLR lens.  I hate to say it, but if that’s too big for you then perhaps an SLR isn’t the right fit.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements