cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL1 Rebel 18-55 IS Lens focus problems

amatula
Enthusiast

Hi,

I had problems with getting people in focus and I posted on that; the problem is also wtih landscape. Even when other photographers use my camera this happens.

In the attached image (non-modified other than to decrease the photo size), I used the following settings:

high quality image (L)

spot metering

ISO 100

F8

Speed: 200

Focused on the mountains

With image stabilization on

Auto focus on

I can provide other photos, but they are all the same basically; with not being able to get good image quality/focus.

I am hand holding the camera as I am hiking. I hike and take photos so I am not going to be carrying a tripod; I am using high speeds (over 100).

I did not have this issue with my SLR cameras.

I really need a camera where it is easier to have good focus images. Would a 3/4s be better or is there another model that would be better? If I lose a bit of image quality that is OK. But I want/need focus.

Thank you for any insight/suggestions you can offer.Isabelle_focus.jpg

45 REPLIES 45

Annie,

"I would love to learn Lightroom (and / or advanced Photoshop) if classes are offerred locally."

Check your local community college.  They usually have either a full blown PS class for degree or an adult education class on PS. 99% of all the great photos you see from the pros go through PS.  That says something!

There isn't anything really wrong with DPP4.  It is just as like Canon said , well, OK, this is good enough we'll finish it later!  It just isn't a straight forward program. Kinda convoluted to me.  I keep trying it from time to time and I think it's not so bad.  Then I go back to LR and wonder why anybody uses DPP.  The only reason I ever come up with, it is free.  It is like the old not ready fro prime time players on SNL.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Annie,

"I would love to learn Lightroom (and / or advanced Photoshop) if classes are offerred locally."

Check your local community college.  They usually have either a full blown PS class for degree or an adult education class on PS. 99% of all the great photos you see from the pros go through PS.  That says something!

There isn't anything really wrong with DPP4.  It is just as like Canon said , well, OK, this is good enough we'll finish it later!  It just isn't a straight forward program. Kinda convoluted to me.  I keep trying it from time to time and I think it's not so bad.  Then I go back to LR and wonder why anybody uses DPP.  The only reason I ever come up with, it is free.  It is like the old not ready fro prime time players on SNL.

To me, the biggest advantage of DPP isn't that it's free (although that's a nice thing when you use it on several different computers, as I do). It's that it saves all changes in the image file itself. Stop me if I'm wrong, but I believe that PS and LR save their changes only in a separate database or in "recipe" files. DPP lets you create recipe files to be applied to other images or to provide for multiple versions of the same image, but it isn't required.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

"Stop me if I'm wrong, but I believe that PS and LR save their changes ..."

OK, stop!

Lightroom does not make changes to the original file. We all know that very well.  It does store each edit in a LR catalog. When you Export an image to a JPEG or TIFF, LR performs the edits.  It  creates a new file.   It never makes changes to the original. Whether it be a RAW or JPEG for that matter.

Agreed this is slightly different in LR as compared to DPP4.  But it is different not better or worse depending on your opinion.

LR is a complete program.  Meaning everything needs to be done with it.  All the file copying or moving or deleting.  This is where some people get cross-ways with LR. If you do all your work inside LR it makes no difference how many drives or cameras or lenses or network connections, etc, you have. Currently LR can operate on two computers.

The RAW file isn't really an image anyway being simply data. You view a RAW file because it stores a small JPEG inside the RAW file.

Photoshop is different.  The really only destructive thing in it is cropping.  Crop means crop.  Where folks get cross-ways with PS is they forget about or don't use layers.  Layers are the best thing that has ever happened to post editing. If you use layers your original file never gets altered or changed.  Unlike LR, PS does not care if you use it for all your computer work.

Free is the only advantage that DPP4 has over LR.  DPP4 does some of the same stuff as LR but no where, I can see, does it do anything better.  The biggest disadvantage to DPP4 is it doesn't work with anything but Canon gear.  And it even doesn't work with all of Canon's gear!

EB

Annie,

"He also mentioned a cable or wireless release for it."

You don't ned a cable release or even a wireless, ............................. yet.

EB

Thank you, Ebiggs!

I feel more confident reading yours and the other contributors' responses.

May I ask:

"This is about as good as it gets with your gear and it's not that bad."

That caught my attention big time.  I used someone else's Canon; it was heavier but I didn't look at the model. I took a group photo. I had posted elsewhere that people photos were also causing me problems and not in complete focus many times. But using this person's Canon (he showed me the image), it had great sharpness. Heavier camera but my hand holding it didn't cause an issue.

So (knowing of course I need to continue to work on technique too) would another Canon or lens help (without having to spend 5K)? I will demo this time!

"Let's say you are only concerned with 'normal' sized viewing or prints.  True?"

I once aspired to be a professional photographer back in the days of SLRs. But I moved away from it; I just came back using digital last year. So I just have very high expectations. (And sometime it would be nice to try to get published 🙂

" The Rebel family has a factor of 1.6 but a micro four third has a factor of 2."

Does this mean that the sensor to the 3/4s is actually bigger the Rebel's?

Thank you so much for your time and help.

All the best!

Annie

Annie,

Oh, I remember you now.  Glad to hear from you again. Smiley Happy

The sensor is bigger in any Rebel compared to a micro four thirds.  That is actual physical size.  However despite what somebody told you, a micro four thirds camera can be better (have better IQ) than your Rebel.  Some could be lighter , too.  I don't know their specs right off.

Not to try and confuse you even more but sensor size is only one consideration.  But as a general rule the larger the sensor the better, ... usually!  But the single most important thing in the area of IQ is the lens.  A better lens is usually better than a better camera.  Make sense?

The next main most important thing is how you post edit your images.  If you are not post editing you are not going to get the best your Rebel can deliver.  Software like Lightroom has the ability to do lens corrections.  All lens suffer from something and LR can reduce or eliminate the issues.  The size of the photo is also very important.  Viewing on a computer monitor is different than a actual print on paper.  Why do cell phones look good?  Because you view them on a small screen.

Does this look good to you?  Is it sharp?

_52D3449.jpg

The same shot only blown up 100%.

_52D3449.jpg

Both of these had 'lens correction' applied in Lightroom. The original was hand held with a leisurely 1/160 shutter and at f6.3.

In other words just a snap shot. I just walked by and thought oh that's a pretty flower and shot it. So you see, how you view your photos is important.

EB

Annie,

Now let's tackle another part of your query.

"... using this person's Canon ... it had great sharpness."    You don't know what brand and model this camera was? What lens did it have on it?

"... it was heavier ..."     Heavier can be an asset.  But not to the extreme.  I shoot exclusively with 1 series cameras now.  When I was working I had everything.  But in the end a 1 series is what I prefer because it is heavier and larger.  I would struggle using an SL-1.  I know as I have tried them before.

I think as I think about you, a better lens may just be what you want.  The kit lens with a SL-1 is the bottom of the line.  Virtually everything and anything will be better.  Sorry if that was cold but it is true.

I am not a great big fan of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens but in this case it just might be the thing.  I can't believe I said that!  But it is a reasonably sharp lens and it is cheap enough it won't break the bank.  It will have much better IQ than the kit lens.  You should be able to see for your self if a better higher quality lens is for you. Plus it will be useful in light challenged situations later on.

Next get a post editor that does lens corrections.  DPP that came with your SL-1 will do if you don't want a better editor right now. I can't believe I said that, either!

Try these things and don't stay away too long.  Let me know how you are doing. OK?

EB

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
@amatula wrote:

I had problems with getting people in focus and I posted on that; the problem is also wtih landscape.

Anyone who thinks they have a focus issue with their camera, should first watch these videos by Canon's Rudy Wilson (at least the first two).

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 1

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 2

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
DPP does save edits with the actual image file, but they are only readable by DPP. It's a different approach but not better or worse.

DPP can use Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer which utilizes data created by Canon for its lenses.

It exactly implements the Canon Picture Styles vs Adobe approximation. Some people prefer the Adobe look even though it's not accurate to Canon. From what I have read Adobe's base profile for the 5Ds was not well liked. It may have been corrected.

Unless one wants to subscribe to Adobe CC they may have issues with LR or PS Elements if they purchase a new camera. Once LR 7 or PS Elements 15 comes out no more updates.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"Once LR 7 or PS Elements 15 comes out no more updates."

Perhaps but not certainly.  ACR is where the updates for new gear comes from.  Not in LR irself.  Plus there is the DNG converter.

EB
Announcements