cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL1 Rebel 18-55 IS Lens focus problems

amatula
Enthusiast

Hi,

I had problems with getting people in focus and I posted on that; the problem is also wtih landscape. Even when other photographers use my camera this happens.

In the attached image (non-modified other than to decrease the photo size), I used the following settings:

high quality image (L)

spot metering

ISO 100

F8

Speed: 200

Focused on the mountains

With image stabilization on

Auto focus on

I can provide other photos, but they are all the same basically; with not being able to get good image quality/focus.

I am hand holding the camera as I am hiking. I hike and take photos so I am not going to be carrying a tripod; I am using high speeds (over 100).

I did not have this issue with my SLR cameras.

I really need a camera where it is easier to have good focus images. Would a 3/4s be better or is there another model that would be better? If I lose a bit of image quality that is OK. But I want/need focus.

Thank you for any insight/suggestions you can offer.Isabelle_focus.jpg

45 REPLIES 45

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@amatula wrote:

Hi,

I had problems with getting people in focus and I posted on that; the problem is also wtih landscape. Even when other photographers use my camera this happens.

In the attached image (non-modified other than to decrease the photo size), I used the following settings:

high quality image (L)

spot metering

ISO 100

F8

Speed: 200

Focused on the mountains

With image stabilization on

Auto focus on

I can provide other photos, but they are all the same basically; with not being able to get good image quality/focus.

I am hand holding the camera as I am hiking. I hike and take photos so I am not going to be carrying a tripod; I am using high speeds (over 100).

I really need a camera where it is easier to have good focus images. Would a 3/4s be better or is there another model that would be better? If I lose a bit of image quality that is OK. But I want/need focus.

Thank you for any insight/suggestions you can offer.Isabelle_focus.jpg

The mountains seem to be in focus. Your shutter speed [1/200] is not quite fast enough to freeze all camera motion.  You may be getting some vibration from the shutter mechanism.  I think tripods are essential for landscape photos.

Where is the problem in the photograph?  Some zoom lenses tend to produce softer images at the upper or lower limit of their zoom range.  Are you familiar with Depth Of Field?

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

I believe you are using the lens that came with the camera in a camera kit.  It is not one of Canon's best lenses.  If you do use that lens on a tripod, be sure to turn off the IS.  BTW, I see nothing that jumps out at me as wrong with the photo.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi,

Thank you (and John),

What lens do you suggest? I can demo it.

I am a hiker who takes photos --carrying around a tripod is too much. I just want nice photos that are in focus.

If a compact or 3/4 is better suuted, I'd go with that.

Thank you, agian,

Annie

@amatula wrote:

Hi,

Thank you (and John),

What lens do you suggest? I can demo it.

I am a hiker who takes photos --carrying around a tripod is too much. I just want nice photos that are in focus.

Thank you, agian,

Annie

I think the problem has less to do with the camera or lens, and more to do with your technique.  A smaller camera, with a smaller sensor, will generally not give you better photos.

Again, I think the shots look fine.  What resolution are you shooting at?  What file format [JPEG or RAW] are you saving at?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, Waddizzle and everyone else. I appreciate your time and sharing.

"What resolution are you shooting at?  What file format [JPEG or RAW] are you saving at?"

JPEG

I am shooting using the curve L setting (highest resolution) The camera says: 5184 x3456 {5148]

Thank you, again!

Annie

@amatula wrote:

The Canon SL1 is ideal for your usage and is more than capable of producing outstanding photos with the STM kit lens.

Just follow the suggestions given.

Use evaluative metering.

Use f/11 instead of f/8

Focus 1/3 of the way into the scene.

Have some prints of your photos made so you have something to compare apples to apples with your SLR.

Walmart charges under $3 for an 8X10 print. If you use their online service (not the in store kiosks) it is printed using a laser photo process on top of the line Fuji Crystal Achive paper. Another good choice is Costco if you are a member and one is near by.

Waddizzle wrote: 

I believe you are using the lens that came with the camera in a camera kit.  It is not one of Canon's best lenses.  If you do use that lens on a tripod, be sure to turn off the IS.  BTW, I see nothing that jumps out at me as wrong with the photo.

The SL1 is normally kitted with the EF-S 18-55 IS STM lens. It actually has very good image quality and is light weight. The only reason to go with another lens is if she is not happy with the focal range. (i.e. not wide enough).

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I downloaded and looked at the image in DPP4. I think it looks fine given the small file size (1.3MB).

When I am hiking I use a hiking pole with a tripod screw on top. If I need to steady the camera I can use the pole as a monopod.

In general 1/200 sec shutter speed should be adequate for handholding a 55mm lens, but depending on how hard you were exerting your self you could be having more than normal body motion from breathing.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@amatula wrote:

spot metering

I would suggest you use Evaluative metering. It is very good and works very well for this type of photography.

@amatula wrote:

Focused on the mountains

When shooting landscapes you want to focus about 1/3 of the way into the scene so your focus point should have been on the pine trees or the rock on the green area up hill of the snow in the foreground.

Your aperture of f/8 may not give you enough depth of field for the whole scene to be in focus. I would have used f/11.

As for your shutter speed it was fine.

@amatula wrote:

This is because you were evaluting the pictures from your SLR as reasonable sized prints. When you look at the photo from you dSLR on the computer screen it is like looking at a 3 foot x 5 foot print from 18" away. I would suggest you get some of your photos actually printed out if you want to compare them to your SLR output. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I downloaded and looked at the image in DPP4 in Photoshop.. I think it looks fine given the small file size."

I agree with jrhoffman.  This is about as good as it gets with your gear and it's not that bad.

"When I am hiking I use a hiking pole with a tripod screw on top. If I need to steady the camera I can use the pole as a monopod."

I disagree with jrhoffman on this part.  Of course what he suggests can't hurt, it just isn't really necessary but it probably does provide a little better result.  I did this type stuff for decades for hire as my business. I rarely to never used a tripod.

"In general 1/200 sec shutter speed should be adequate for handholding a 55mm lens,..."  Absolutely, this is spot on.

"... but depending on how hard you were exerting your self you could be having more than normal body motion from breathing."       Again, absolutely, this is spot on, too.

Let's say you are only concerned with 'normal' sized viewing or prints.  True?  Then a micro four thirds, or APS-C or even a FF will do nicely for you.  Even a camera like the G16 or G1x will make very nice shots.  If on-the-other-hand, if you require larger prints, than a FF is the way to go.

The problem with the smaller sensors like micro four thirds or APS-C is getting really WA lenses. The Rebel family has a factor of 1.6 but a micro four third has a factor of 2. The advantage is they, like the G16, are smaller and lighter.  Maybe a plus for a hiker?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements