cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD card question for Canon Rebel T5

shivkalyan
Apprentice

Hi, I am new to photography and have quite recently purchased a Canon Rebel T5. Is there a most extreme SD card size for my camera or will a 200GB SD card work with my camera? I planned to take a lot of huge photographs and recordings and might want to have a bigger SD card, yet a snappy google search couldn't advise me if there are any size impediments, for example, a few telephones and cameras. Sorry if this is an inept inquiry, however much obliged for the appropriate response!

(links removed as per forum guidelines) 

5 REPLIES 5

aDiaz
Contributor

I found no recommendations in the manual but I think that 200GB card will work just fine

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

From page 5 of the User Manual, you can use SD, SDHC or SDXC cards regardless of capacity.   Though that was printed far before all the latest SD card tech was created.

256 GB SDXC cards should work though, although the camera would most likely not take advantage of their full speed.  See the note in the manual regarding UHS-I rated cards.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I used to own a Rebel T5.  I do not care what the manual says about SDXC cards being compatible.  Stick to SDHC, and all of your questions and problems will go away.  Of course, you must only use full size SD cards, 32GB or less, and format them in the camera prior to first use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Kerkkolankatu
Apprentice

The Canon Rebel T5 can only use SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards. The camera is also known as the Canon EOS 1200D in Europe. Compatible memory cards for the Rebel T5 include any SD card that has a storage capacity of up to 2TB.

my account access

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...you must only use full size SD cards, 32GB or less,..."

Huge SD cards are a bad idea, a very bad idea. Smiley Sad Heed this advice.

Don't forget you can have as many SD cards as you want and change them when they get full.  That is a whole lot better practice than one huge SD card whether it work or not.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements