cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD Card Issues

BEE2
Contributor

Hello,

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T5 and I purchased a new SD card.  The card worked fine but then stopped and my camera kindly advised me that the card was not formatted for the camera.  I formatted the card, which seemed to have worked however I am only able to place a few photos on the card.  I've tried three different cards and they either don't do anything at all or the message "Cannot format.  Change Card" or after I've formatted the card it says that I've used 48 KB and I am only able to place 6 photos on the camera and it is full.  

The cards I am using are:

SanDisk - Shoot & Store 32MB 50 pictures (last message I mentioned above)

SanDisk 64 MB "Cannot Format. Change Card"

SanDisk Ultra 32 GB - can format but only allows 6 photos to be placed on the card.

I'm hoping someone can help.  I new to the photography word and this would be my first challenge and I'm sure that there are more to come.  

Bee2

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

As long as you're using full size card, and not the miniSD cards with adapters, those cards should be fine to use with a T5.  Just make sure that you perform a "low level" format on the cards, prior to use.  New cards may have some formatting on them, which is residue from production testing and needs to be fully erased.

I have had trouble using a 64GB card with a T5, though.  SDXC cards are 64GB, or a higher capacity.  They are formatted differently from SD and SDHC cards.  The message you're getting from the 64GB card seems to suggest that the write protect tab is in the "write protect" position.

[EDIT]  I'd hate to think you have three bad cards, but it is possible.  Only buy cards from reputable vendors.  I would suggest a local Best Buy.  There are a lot of counterfeit goods on the market.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

32 & 64 MEGA bite cards won't hold many images on a modern camera. Are you trying to use those small cards or is it a typo?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for replying.  I tried formatting at low level but couldn't figure how to do that.  Can you help me with that?  

This is how it looks like when low level format a card https://support.usa.canon.com/library/attachments/CanonUSA/TroubleshootingContents/Images/Global/G01...

Press the trash can button or INFO button to mark the low level format.

If you use 64 MB and not 64 GB it is not strange at all that you can´t take more than a couple of pictures.

Cards that can´t be low level formatted in the camera I try to use SD Formatter in the computer instead to overwright the whole card. If the cards still won´t work I will buy new instead.

Thanks Peter, I appreciate your help.   I'll give that a try. 

Were you ever able to resolve this issue with your camera? I am having the same issue with a camera bundle I purchased off QVC and stupidly never sent it back. I have never been able to use the camera but would love to. The card I am using is a mini with the adapter. Maybe that's the problem?

It could very well be the issue. Get a brand-name full size card. I can't believe that a bundle came with a micro card and adapter, a no-name card I could understand, but a micro card and adapter should be right out.

@Terisa wrote:
Were you ever able to resolve this issue with your camera? I am having the same issue with a camera bundle I purchased off QVC and stupidly never sent it back. I have never been able to use the camera but would love to. The card I am using is a mini with the adapter. Maybe that's the problem?

It is highly likely that the micro-SD card is the problem.  If you look in the camera’s instruction manual, Canon recommends SD SDHC, and SDXC cards with current DSLRs.  Note the fact that micro-SD is not included as one of the suggested types.

Buying cards online can be risky because there are a lot counterfeit cards out there.  I only buy cards online from B&H.  I also recommend going to a local camera store, or even a Best Buy, to buy a memory card.

A QVC camera bundle most likely means you have a T5/T6/T7 Rebel body.  I recommend a Sandisk Extreme 32GB card.  I do not recommend 64GB, or higher, with those bodies.  Canon bodies need UHS-I cards.  Most of the cards that are 64GB, or larger tend to be UHS-II cards, which do not work very well in Canon bodes.  

The Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB cards are UHS-I, though, and are probably okay.  But, I know my T5 would have problems formatting one.  If I used the computer to format it, the camera would use it just fine.  In fact, once the computer formatted the card, the camera was suddenly able to reformat the card, too.  Go figure.  Stick to the 32GB cards, because that is all you really need, and carry a spare card, or two.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements