cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset CMOS Sensor on a T5?

5_Slow
Apprentice

A while back, I accidently took a 30-sec exposure on a bright sunny day. Ever since then, my camera has had white balance issues and the flash constantly pops up on auto. Is there any way to do a reset to the CMOS sensor or have I permanently damaged my camera? 😞

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I think you need to send it in. You might try live view for a long time with the lens cap on, but it actually sounds like the exposure chip, not the sensor.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Only a professional inspection and testing can tell for sure. 

Did you take a picture of the sun?  If not, I am not sure how a severely overexposed picture could damage the sensor.  How would that be any different from exposing the sensor for 30 seconds to shoot video?  Not much difference, as far as I can tell.  It is possible that some of the sensor's associated electronics may have been damaged because the signal was over-amplified..  I think the same argument applies again.

Who knows?  Only a professional inspection and testing could tell you for sure.  Resetting is covered in your manual.  It is an optoin that can be found in the menu.  You may also want to take the main battery out of the camera for a period of time, at least several days, until the time and date clear themselves out.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I accidently took a 30-sec exposure on a bright sunny day."

It does sound like you fired the sensor.  This would be an extreme over exposure.  Akin to actually shooting the Sun with a much lesser EV.

It will have to go to Canon to tell for sure.  A new sensor may be too expensive so get an estimate first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements