cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Advice - EOS Rebel T5 Small Blur/Spot

dtwolfe93
Apprentice

Hi! I'm about a year into photography and take pictures mostly for work however I've found a passion in it and now want to dive more into it! Unrelated to that we have a Canon EOS Rebel T5 in our office and I've noticed that there is random smudge/blur/spot that is now appearing in every picture (examples below with zoom in). 

With a smudge-free cloth, I've cleaned the lenses we have and I've cleaned the mirror on the inside of the camera (excuse me if that is something I shouldn't do). That hasn't solved the issue. Maybe it is an issue with the image sensor? Is anyone aware of what might be causing this and the appropriate way to fix it? 

Thanks, DW

IMG_5227.JPG

IMG_5228.JPG

spot.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

John_
Authority

Try performing a manual sensor cleaning but follow the instructions carefully on page 200 of the manual. Here is a link to the manual  Canon T5 User Manual 

Ray-uk
Whiz

Definitely dust on the sensor, follow John's advice above, Oh and never ever clean the mirror with a cloth

I see what appears to be severe dust or mold.  Or a spot caused by someone who tried to clean the sensor and failed. 

Thats going to require professional service and you might never get it right depending on how long its been like that. 

OP, I wish you luck, but suggest you let Canon evaluate and perform the service. 

It states this in the manual John referenced for a good reason.  Up to you.

Canon Service Request

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

dtwolfe93
Apprentice

Hi! I'm about a year into photography and take pictures mostly for work however I've found a passion in it and now want to dive more into it! Unrelated to that we have a Canon EOS Rebel T5 in our office and I've noticed that there is random smudge/blur/spot that is now appearing in every picture (examples below with zoom in). 

With a smudge-free cloth, I've cleaned the lenses we have and I've cleaned the mirror on the inside of the camera (excuse me if that is something I shouldn't do). That hasn't solved the issue. Maybe it is an issue with the image sensor? Is anyone aware of what might be causing this and the appropriate way to fix it? 

Thanks, DW

IMG_5228.JPGspot.jpg

Likely a speck of something on the sensor.

To determine better go outside in bright light and stop the lens down to f/16 in AV mode. Take a picture of a blank wall or sheet of white poster board.

At a small f/stop like that any specks on the sensor will become more defined.

If that's the case either take the camera to a shop for cleaning or follow YouTube videos. You can activate the sensor clean now option on the camera and use a hand squeeze blower to try and dislodge the material. Just be careful. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

That's not coming off with in camera sensor cleaning. It needs a real physical cleaning.  First time have someone that "knows" how to do clean it for you.  Hope it is just debris on the sensor!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Take a picture of a blank wall or sheet of white poster board."

No need to make it difficult.  Blue sky works well.

EB

dtwolfe93
Apprentice

Thank you, everyone, for the advice. I appreciate the tips and info. Now on to look for a shop that can clean it in the Kansas City area...

Cheers, DW

Overland Photo Supply Inc

EB
Announcements