cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Focus Screen/prism for EOS Rebel T6/1300D? Has anyone done this successfully?

gedansky
Contributor

I have a new condition Canon EOS T6 and specs/shadows suddenly appeared on the upper right corner of the viewfinder.  I followed DP Review blog, Google and Youtube instructions for cleaning and only made it worse. 

It was only after that, that I find the video "DON'T CLEAN YOUR FOCUS SCREEN!". 

I contacted my local camera repair shop and learned that Canon doesn't clean/repair/replace focus screens in the EOS Rebel series. They are considered "fixed"/non-removable.

That said... there are several third parties who sell replacements on eBay and even through the Wallmart online store, as well as a few videos showing how simple they are to replace with just a pair of surgical gloves and some plastic tweezers.  

Has anyone done this successfully? Can you provide info?

Also, has anyone replaced their foam light curtain? 

Thanks! 

20 REPLIES 20

Sounds like a plan I would follow....give it a shot and if you fail sell it as-is for parts.

I used the part number Mike provided in a search and found some on eBay and even Walmart has one too $18.79...I was surprised they sell it.

When I called Canon Canada they said the part was $3.00 with an addition $5.00 for shipping. 

Mike Sowsun

"I have only have $224 in this camera (new condition, only 2336 clicks when I bought it).  I want to fix it.  But, if I screw it up, I can sell it for parts and start saving for the 90D. "

I think you may find yourself in over your head very quickly.  Be very careful.  People decline making this repair for a reason.

Tweezers?  Canon replacement screens typically with a special tool, to pick up the screen.  It looks similar to tweezers, but it will not crimp or warp the screen.  Tweezers typically have "teeth", while the special tool does not.

Only 2336 clicks?  I wonder how someone was able to make the determination.  The only good way to determine the shutter count accurately is to send the camera to Canon.  Some software that claim to be able to read the count in the camera can alter the camera's firmware.  I would overwrite the firmware with the latest copy from Canon Support.

Be careful, and good luck.  Like I said, if it does not show up in photos, do not bother with it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I didn't mean to let this go unanswered for so long.  I totally understand your concerns.  And, though I consider myself quite technical, and fairly adept at delicate repairs, I have stalled on moving forward.

The problem is, my current focus screen is misaligned, my LED focus points don't show up anymore, and I am getting very inconsistent pics as a result.  And, since I can't/won't just transition to using Live View only, I have to do something.  The trouble is, what looks like a very simple repair, is something that the pros are avoiding.  I think because Canon doesn't want them to do it.  

So I can either get the parts and convince someone who knows how to do it, or I can try it myself.  Otherwise, I feel I have to retire my camera or sell it at a loss.  

@gedansky wrote:

I didn't mean to let this go unanswered for so long.  I totally understand your concerns.  And, though I consider myself quite technical, and fairly adept at delicate repairs, I have stalled on moving forward.

The problem is, my current focus screen is misaligned, my LED focus points don't show up anymore, and I am getting very inconsistent pics as a result.  And, since I can't/won't just transition to using Live View only, I have to do something.  The trouble is, what looks like a very simple repair, is something that the pros are avoiding.  I think because Canon doesn't want them to do it.  

So I can either get the parts and convince someone who knows how to do it, or I can try it myself.  Otherwise, I feel I have to retire my camera or sell it at a loss.  

I suspect that they are avoiding attempting the repair because there is likely some sort of alignment and calibration that must be performed, which is probably done by industrial automation when the camera was assembled in the factory.

And I would agree.  But, I also think it's unreasonable to force anyone with a sub-$1000 camera to pay more than the cost/value of the camera to fix a common problem, or to be forced to buy a new one.  The only difference between the fixed, non-user removable setup on the Rebel series and the user serviceable setup on the more expensive cameras is a very inexpensive metal framework that is designed to be popped for cleaning/replacing, vs the one in the Rebel that is not.

All raging against the machine aside... I found a nice old guy with a well reviewed camera shop who has been fixing cameras forever and he replaced and aligned the focus lens, and replaced the light curtain foam with the better brush curtain, for $95.  

Totally worth it to not risk it myself.  

@gedansky wrote:

And I would agree.  But, I also think it's unreasonable to force anyone with a sub-$1000 camera to pay more than the cost/value of the camera to fix a common problem, or to be forced to buy a new one.  The only difference between the fixed, non-user removable setup on the Rebel series and the user serviceable setup on the more expensive cameras is a very inexpensive metal framework that is designed to be popped for cleaning/replacing, vs the one in the Rebel that is not.

All raging against the machine aside... I found a nice old guy with a well reviewed camera shop who has been fixing cameras forever and he replaced and aligned the focus lens, and replaced the light curtain foam with the better brush curtain, for $95.  

Totally worth it to not risk it myself.  

That is great.  I am glad it worked out for the best.  BTW, getting the camera box dirty, or stuff in the camera box misaligned, is not a typical issue that users may encounter.

gedansky
Contributor
Thanks John and thanks again Mike. I’ll buy several from Canon. Would you be able to share the Canon number that you used? Is that allowed? Can you PM it
to me?

Thanks!

I called Canon Canada at 1800-652-2666 (Mon-Fri 9am-6pm Eastern)

Mike Sowsun

gedansky
Contributor
Thanks!
Announcements