cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace built-in battery for Rebel XSI

backagain
Apprentice
Hi, My Canon Rebel XSI just stopped working. Would not turn on at all. I tried re-charging the battery and it still didn't work. A friend said that sometimes the clock battery needs to be taken out and put in again. I tried to find it. My manual says that the battery is built in. What can I do?
5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is probably time to buy a new camera battery.  Or it could be your charger.  Can you try a known good battery? 

I don't think the "keep alive" battery is replacable on this model.  Maybe it is but I don't think so.  At any rate if it were dead it would not prevent the camera from turning on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks so much.  I had a feeling that I would be stuck.  It might be better to purchase a new body.  Alan who also responded gave me some ideas to triy too.  Thanks everyone!!

amfoto1
Authority

Even a bad internal "time/date" battery should not prevent the camera from working off the main/removable/rechargeable battery. (Date and time just need to be reset each and every time the camera is turned on... Tho it probably can be used without setting them, in which case the info in images would be wrong.)

The cameras that have a non-replaceable "date/time" battery seem to use one that gets recharged by the main battery each time it's used.

As you have already been advised, most likely you just need a new main battery, though a failing charger is another possibility.

However, has the camera been sitting a long time unused? I have seen batteries go so dead, that you need to run them through a half dozen or more charge/discharge cycles before they come back up to full power. First time charged, the camera might not come on at all or might turn off in seconds. 2nd or later charges each power up the camera a little longer, until finally it works more normally. I don't use the LP-E5 batteries, so am not sure if they do this the way some other batteries do.

Camera's die for other reasons, too. It would be great if you could borrow a known-good LP-E5 battery from a friend to try, before going out and buying new.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thanks Alan,  I'll try the re-charge battery trick, and using someone else's battery to make sure that "charging" isn't the problem

Hi all you helper!!!!  I'm thrilled.  finally got the new battery charger from Amazon AND it worked.  Wow. 

Thanks so much.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements