cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repairing lens contacts camera body T3i

Dantastic372
Apprentice

Hey guys,

Im new here and i hope one of you camera guys can help me. 

I have a Rebel T3i (600d) with an issue, the contacts on the camera bodyhave somehow gotten corroded with a nasty green ish coating which i believe to be sal water residue. Now one of my lenses will not work on the camera. I have tried this lens on a friends and it works fine, his brand new lens of the same zoom (75-300mm) andit doesnt work on my camera. 

So i did some research and spoke with friends. I cleaned the pins/contacts with alcohol and a q tip. Most of the residue is off of the contacts but there re 2, the ones which dont retract, that are still a bit dirty. I dont want to scratch them however. 

I would love to take them to a professional camera repair shop however i live in a Costa Rican beachtown and there is a serious shortage of professionals!

So, 1. Can i do something to fix this myself, 2. Can a professional in the states fix this in a timely manner (my girlfriend goes home for 2 weeks over Xmas).                                                                     

Looking forward to hopefully being able to shoot again soon with your help! 

Thanks guys. 

Dan.

Camera 2.jpg

Camera.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there!

We wanted to chime in and let you know that Canon USA Factory Service Centers cannot receive anything from outside of the USA. If an international address is on a package, it will be refused. Our facility also does not ship outside of the USA, so we recommend sending anything you'd like evaluated through a friend in the US.

Also, Ernie (ebiggs) is right, salt water is very corrosive, and can cause severe internal damage. Usually, if our team sees internal corrosion from salt water, they will reject a repair. This is because usually many internal components have to be replaced, causing salt water repairs to be uneconimical. Also, if anything is missed, the corrosion can continue to spread and the camera can malfunction after the repair, which would require further repairs and associated costs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Turn around times for most repairs shipped within the US is 10-14 days.  With the upcoming holiday breaks, and the accompanying increase in service volume due to increased sales volume, you can figure on doubling that number, if not longer.  You had better allow 4-5 week for a turn around if Canon received it Monday.

As for your camera, that looks like you need to have the lens mount assembly replaced.  Companies no longer repair specific parts.  It is far more efficient for them to stock generic sub-assemblies.  Changing out the entire assembly also lowers the cost of labor to repair the item, too.

Speaking of costs, it would probably be more cost effective to buy a used camera from a reputable dealer.  I would try KEH and B&H, within the US.  There are others, but those are the ones in my experience.  I liked KEH better for used gear, than B&H.  Both offer limited warranties on their used gear, which is better than what you get with most places.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Also look into the Canon refurbished cameras. They frequently have very good discounts.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Dantastic372
Apprentice

Hey guys,

So from what you think there is no way of cleaning the contacts porfessionally and its a lens mount replacement? Such a shame. It still works with my 18-55 lens fine as i believe that lens uses different contacts?

So in summary it will cost more than replacing it? I have seen other used cameras of the same model for around $250. You honestly think it will be more than this to replace the lens mount? Is there a way of doing it myself if i buy the parts?

Cheers

Dan

@Dantastic372 wrote:

Hey guys,

So from what you think there is no way of cleaning the contacts porfessionally and its a lens mount replacement? Such a shame. It still works with my 18-55 lens fine as i believe that lens uses different contacts?

So in summary it will cost more than replacing it? I have seen other used cameras of the same model for around $250. You honestly think it will be more than this to replace the lens mount? Is there a way of doing it myself if i buy the parts?

Cheers

Dan

You can check, but i believe Canon still supports repairs on the T3i.  The most common reason for cutting off support is the unavailability of the computer chips, and other electronic parts, which were available at the time of the original design and production.  

As far as $250 goes.  The cost of fully insured, round trip shipping can cost $50.   Your best bet for finding used parts is most likely to be buying a used camera, and cannibalizing it for parts.  You’re going to need a good set of tools to repair the camera, too.  So, you had better figure in the cost of tools, and other gear, like a gimbal mounted light.

Do not let me discourage you from attempting a repair.  Just be warned that it is not something for thoee who are inexperienced in repairing electronic gear.  I suggest that you invest in a new camera.  Turn your T3i into a hobby, or pet project.  The cost to get it professionally repaired exceeds the point of diminishing returns.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ok cool. 

Man im so bummed, i have some work i now cannot take on! Oh well...

Ok, so the camera is going to the states to look at being repaired. If its more than $100 (highly likely) then i will buy a used one in the states and have a friend bring it here. The customs on shipping here is 30-45% so it has to be brought by a friend!

My existing camera will be an 18-55mm only situation, back up for basic event photography and possibly even a gift to a local charity a friend works for. 

I think i am geting above my station on repairing it. I have some super basic tools (couple of multi tools and a swiss army knife) and dont want to invest in camera repairs sadly. 

Lesson learnt. Clean your camera properly...

Most of the time salt water damage is not repairable.  The damage can be and likely is deeper than just the contacts.

Add to that, the T3i is getting pretty dated.  I think two things are in store for you as the best, cheapest, option.  Buy a new camera/lens kit and (2) don't get it wet with salt water.  Not even the salt water mist !.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi there!

We wanted to chime in and let you know that Canon USA Factory Service Centers cannot receive anything from outside of the USA. If an international address is on a package, it will be refused. Our facility also does not ship outside of the USA, so we recommend sending anything you'd like evaluated through a friend in the US.

Also, Ernie (ebiggs) is right, salt water is very corrosive, and can cause severe internal damage. Usually, if our team sees internal corrosion from salt water, they will reject a repair. This is because usually many internal components have to be replaced, causing salt water repairs to be uneconimical. Also, if anything is missed, the corrosion can continue to spread and the camera can malfunction after the repair, which would require further repairs and associated costs.

Thanks for clarifying that. Any repairs will be shipped from and to a US address, it just isnt feasible here to ship anything due to import taxes. 

Sounds like a convincing case of the camera being made redundant from my collection of photography equipment.

Thanks all for your feedback, advice and time. 

I will let you know it goes when the camera goes back to the states around Christmas for a professional to look at it!

Cheers

Dan

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements